MEQUON, Wis. -- Concordia Wisconsin blew the game wide open in the second quarter when Matt Montgomery scored the first of two rushing touchdowns and Matt Wetherall returned an interception 37 yards for a score. The Falcons would go on to defeat Finlandia 38-7 on Saturday at Tomasini Stadium in the season opener.
Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 38, Finlandia 7
Location: Tomasini Stadium (Mequon, Wis.)
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 1-0, Finlandia 0-1
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The only scoring in the opening quarter was a Mason Kaschinske 35-yard field goal, but from then on the Falcons offensive found its rhythm. Junior Matt Montgomery (Hillsboro, Texas) worked his way into the end zone from 16 yards for the first of his two scores, before sophomore Matt Wetheral (Slinger, Wis.) made a highlight-reel play.
- Wetherall cut off the pass from the Finlandia quarterback and ran down the near sideline 37 yards for a score to push Concordia Wisconsin in front 17-0. Montgomery put more points on the board right before halftime from 12 yards out.
- Throughout the game, the Falcons defense dominated and held the Lions to just 122 total offensive yards and 2-of-10 on third-down conversions. They also accumulated two sacks, seven tackles for loss, forced a fumble and freshman Jaylen Campbell (Milwaukee, Wis.) intercepted a pass as well.
- Once the offense got moving, it can via the running game, as Concordia Wisconsin rushed for 252 yards on the ground. Montgomery had 104 yards on 13 carries (8.0 per average) for his first career 100-yard game. Freshman De'Shawn Ford (Gardena, Calif.) added 54 yards on four carries for a 13.5 yard average.
- Sophomore James Linn (Chino Hills, Calif.) and sophomore Josh Turner (Palatine, Ill.) also found pay dirt with their legs on carries from four and two yards, respectively.
- An unknown for the Falcons entering the season was their kicking game and Kaschinke (freshman, Fort Wayne, Ind.) performed well with his field goal and 5-for-5 performance on PATs.
- Finlandia's lone score came with 5:33 to play in the game on a Darin Johnson 8-yard rushing touchdown.
- The Falcons have now won four-consecutive games over four seasons against the Lions by a combined score of 142-30.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- Concordia Wisconsin will travel to Augsburg next Saturday (September 14) for a non-conference game at 1 pm.
November 20, 2019 All-NACC Football postseason awards announced
November 16, 2019 Football secures season finale victory
November 9, 2019 Football loses at Eureka
November 2, 2019 Football earns wild Senior Day victory
October 29, 2019 Stewart named NACC Defensive Player of the Week
October 26, 2019 Montgomery rushes for 3 TDs in road victory
October 22, 2019 McDermit named NACC Defensive Player of the Week
October 19, 2019 Homecoming spoiled by Spartans
October 12, 2019 Fumbles hurt Falcons in road loss
October 5, 2019 Football stunned in OT by Benedictine
September 25, 2019 Christenson named NACC Special Teams Player of the Week
September 25, 2019 Offensive linemen quietly making the Falcons better
September 21, 2019 Football drops first game of the season
September 17, 2019 Rackard III named NACC Defensive Player of the Week
September 14, 2019 Defense makes a statement in road win
September 7, 2019 Wetherall returns INT for TD, Montgomery scores twice in Football win
August 20, 2019 Football picked to finish fourth in NACC Preseason Poll