MEQUON, Wis. – It was a game with NACC title implications on the line and playoff hopes at stake, and Concordia Wisconsin's defense did all it could to slow down All-American running back Le'Anthony Reasnover, but a late touchdown with 19 seconds to play gave Eureka a 48-45 victory at Tomasini Stadium.
Final Score: Eureka 48, Concordia Wisconsin 45
Location: Tomasini Stadium (Mequon, Wis.)
Records: Eureka 8-0, 5-0 NACC; Concordia Wisconsin 6-2, 4-1 NACC
HOW IT HAPPENED
- It could easily be classified as an instant classic; with 13 touchdowns being scored, over 1,100 total combined offensive yards being accumulated and two teams with completely different styles of play trying to outmaneuver the other all game long.
- The Falcons, who showed their big-play ability often, registering 12 plays from scrimmage of at least 20 yards with a highlight pass and catch 64-yard connection between quarterback Aaron Nixon and Isaiah Tenette to begin the game. The two would connect just over three minutes later for a 40-yard score to put the hosts ahead 14-0 and ease the tension in the stadium.
- As the game progressed it was only a matter of time before Reasnover got rolling and showed why he is the nation's second-leading rusher. He had five touchdowns in the game and three in the third quarter alone. The downhill runner ended with a noteworthy 48 carries for 320 yards (6.7 average) and willed his team to victory on the final drive.
- Concordia Wisconsin never trailed in the game until the final score and built an 11-point advantage after Nixon rushed for a 10-yard touchdown in middle stages of the third quarter. The North Prairie, Wis., native and senior ended with 395 passing yards on 18-of-39 throwing for four touchdowns, while also rushing for 100 yards.
- Tenette (junior, Sacramento, Calif.) had a career game with 224 receiving yards on eight receptions and two scores. Freshman Josh Turner (Palatine, Ill.) ended with 55 rushing yards and a score, to go along with five receptions for 78 yards.
- Senior Jacob Mason (Slinger, Wis.) scored nine points, which included a 33-yard field goal early in the second quarter.
- Senior Jon Rauh (Slinger, Wis.) had a game-high 12 tackles and an interception, while sophomore Dwayne Rackard III (Orlando, Fla.) and Mason each had 10 tackles. Junior DeShawn Battle (Bolingbrook, Ill.) also intercepted a pass and sophomore Eric Koeller (Powers Lake, Wis.) recovered a fumble.
- Eureka quarterback Drew Barth threw for 123 yards and a score, and Caleb Fauver had a receiving touchdown. Macae Skaggs led the defensive efforts with seven tackles.
- The Falcons finished with 563 total offensive yards (395 passing, 168 rushing) and it was the third time this season they have had at least 550 total offensive yards in a game.
- The loss snapped a five-game winning streak, which is the longest since seven in a row during the 2013 season.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- Concordia Wisconsin travels to Rockford for a November 3 kickoff at 1 pm in NACC play.