MEQUON, Wis. – A week after a shootout victory to begin NACC play, Concordia Wisconsin got defensive during an impressive 17-0 shutout victory over Lakeland on Saturday to win the Cheese Bowl in front of Military personnel at Tomasini Stadium.
Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 17, Lakeland 0
Location: Tomasini Stadium (Mequon, Wis.)
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 4-1, 2-0 NACC; Lakeland 1-4, 1-1 NACC
QUOTING HEAD COACH GREG ETTER
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Last week Concordia Wisconsin's defense allowed 40 points and the offense racked up 49, but this Saturday was a different mindset from the opening kickoff. It didn't take long to realize the rivalry between the two programs and with the Cheese Bowl up for grabs things would be a little different.
- Both offenses tried to run the ball and pass to the inside and outside of the field, but each defensive coordinator had drawn up a game plan that was working to perfection. It wasn't until a nine-play, 80-yard drive by the Falcons that resulted in a 22-yard field goal was the first crack in the armor shown.
- Following the sixth possession by Lakeland, which saw them punt for the third time after also fumbling twice and throwing an interception, Concordia Wisconsin went down the field 43 yards before senior Aaron Nixon (North Prairie, Wis.) connected with his go-to target in senior Josh Sanders (Phoenix, Ariz.) for a 4-yard touchdown pass on a fade to the corner of the end zone. The result was a 10-0 lead for the hosts at halftime.
- Those in the trenches continued to battle and another fumble by the Muskies, was turned into seven points by the Falcons when Nixon and Sanders connected for a 17-yard score to build a comfortable cushion. Neither offense did much the rest of the way and a few kneel downs at the end sent the home crowd into jubilation and an ice bath for head coach Greg Etter also ensued.
- The senior class that has helped the youthful Falcons squad, hoisted the Cheese Bowl trophy into the air in celebration after the handshake line was completed for the first time in their careers.
- Nixon ended with 116 rushing yards and 112 passing yards and two touchdowns. Sanders hauled in four passes for 33 yards and the two touchdown catches.
- Sophomore Justin Dunlap (Henderson, Nev.) had a career game with 17 tackles (eight solo), while sophomore Dwayne Rackard III (Orlando, Fla.) had 11 tackles and an interception. Senior Kody Lemley (Lake Station, Ind.) recovered two fumbles and freshman Cameron Kohler (Westlake Village, Calif.) had three tackles for a loss.
- Eldrada Meeks had 54 rushing yards for Lakeland and Nick Broder was 25-of-38 passing for 206 yards. Jamal Hawkins-Sconiers had eight catches for 82 yards.
- Diante Moses led the Muskies defense with 13 tackles, while Sam Bartlett had 12 tackles, a forced fumble and 1.5 tackles for loss. Rayshion Brumfield intercepted a pass.
- The shutout was the first for Concordia Wisconsin since the 2012 season and the first against Lakeland since the 2000 season.
- Lakeland finished with a 20-15 advantage in first down, but was outgained 324-307 in total offensive yards.
- The Muskies had five fumbles and lost four, and were 4-of-7 on fourth-down conversions.
- Concordia Wisconsin converted both red zone chances.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- Concordia Wisconsin travels to Aurora for an October 13 matchup at 1 pm.
July 29, 2019 23rd Annual Football golf outing a success
April 10, 2019 Bartholomew inducted into WFCA Hall of Fame
April 10, 2019 Mason named to NFF Hampshire Honor Society
December 12, 2018 Football announces post-season team awards
December 4, 2018 Where passion triumphs paychecks
November 16, 2018 All-NACC Football postseason awards announced
November 15, 2018 Mason earns academic all-district honors
November 13, 2018 Stewart named NACC Defensive Player of the Week
November 10, 2018 Seniors earn memorable Luther Cup victory
November 3, 2018 Football drops NACC game at Rockford
October 29, 2018 CUW mourns passing of Arnie Garber
October 27, 2018 Football stunned in final seconds by Eureka
October 23, 2018 Mason named NACC Special Teams Player of the Week
October 22, 2018 Josh Sanders: pushing himself forward
October 13, 2018 Football earns come-from-behind victory
October 6, 2018 Defensive state of mind
October 2, 2018 Falcon Focus Podcast (October 2, 2018)
October 2, 2018 Nixon named NACC Offensive Player of the Week
September 29, 2018 Offense explodes in victory at Benedictine
September 18, 2018 Mason, McDermit earn NACC weekly honors
September 18, 2018 Football hosts youth clinic
September 15, 2018 Football grinds out victory over Scots
September 11, 2018 Nixon earns NACC Offensive Player of the Week
September 8, 2018 Football scores three TDs in fourth during home opener
September 1, 2018 Football scores early in season-opening road win at Finlandia
August 28, 2018 #CUWStatsInfo: Football ready for 2018 season
August 17, 2018 Football chosen to finish sixth in NACC preseason poll
August 16, 2018 A bond built on trust