LISLE, Ill. – Concordia Wisconsin's offense exploded for 630 total offensive yards on Saturday afternoon during a 48-40 shootout victory at Benedictine. The Falcons scored two touchdowns in three of the four quarters during the NACC opener for both teams.
Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 48, Benedictine 40
Location: The Sports Complex (Lisle, Ill.)
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 3-1, 1-0 NACC; Benedictine 0-4, 0-1 NACC
HOW IT HAPPENED
- It was only a matter of time before the Falcons offense all found a rhythm all on the same day and Saturday was the case, as they compiled 630 total offensive yards (220 rushing, 410 passing) and seven touchdowns.
- The game was within a touchdown either way until the fourth quarter when junior Jake Riportella (Des Plaines, Ill.) hauled in a 78-yard passing touchdown from senior Aaron Nixon (North Prairie, Wis.) to put the visitors in front 41-32. Another touchdown five minutes later off a Nixon 1-yard touchdown plunge gave the Falcons a 48-32 lead that was enough to settle the nerves.
- What has become the norm for the Concordia Wisconsin offense was the same with Nixon connecting with senior Josh Sanders (Phoenix, Ariz.) for two touchdown scores, while Sanders had a career game with 223 receiving yards on seven receptions. Riportella also caught a 16 yards touchdown pass and finished his day with five receptions for 149 yards.
- Freshman Josh Turner (Palatine, Ill.) got in a groove early and carried the rock 23 times for a career-high 175 yards. He had a long of 60 yards and averaged 7.6 yards per carry. Nixon added three touchdown runs and 45 rushing yards to his credit, while also completing 16-of-31 passes and had four scoring throws.
- Freshman Cameron Kohler (Westlake Village, Calif.) and sophomore Dwayne Rackard III (Orlando, Fla.) had outstanding games with 13 total tackles each. Kohler also had 1.5 tackles for loss and shared a sack. Sophomore Justin Dunlap (Henderson, Nev.) and sophomore Troy Stewart (Trevor, Wis.) each had 10 tackles.
- Freshman Josiah McDermit (Kansasville, Wis.) broke up a career-best four passes and sophomore Brandon Hargis (Henderson, Nev.) intercepted a pass in the first quarter.
- The 48 points are the most scored since putting up 49 twice during the 2016 season, of which, the Falcons lost one of those games 51-49 at home to Benedictine.
- In the second half Concordia Wisconsin scored on four of its seven drives and had three in a row to begin the final 30 minutes of play.
- Sanders now has three consecutive games with at least 179 receiving yards.
- Josh Williams rushed for 96 yards and a touchdown; while Nick Sternad had two rushing scores, completed 27-of-46 passes for 334 yards and threw three touchdowns.
- Brandon Moore hauled in five passes for 112 yards and touchdowns, while Williams also had a touchdown reception.
- Scottie Bobeck had a team-high 11 tackles to go along with a sack, while Jack Drummond tallied 10 tackles, four tackles for loss and a sack.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- Concordia Wisconsin hosts Lakeland on Saturday, October 6 at 1 pm in a battle for the Cheese Bowl. It will also be Family Weekend and the annual Military Day game.
April 10, 2019 Bartholomew inducted into WFCA Hall of Fame
April 10, 2019 Mason named to NFF Hampshire Honor Society
December 12, 2018 Football announces post-season team awards
December 4, 2018 Where passion triumphs paychecks
November 16, 2018 All-NACC Football postseason awards announced
November 15, 2018 Mason earns academic all-district honors
November 13, 2018 Stewart named NACC Defensive Player of the Week
November 10, 2018 Seniors earn memorable Luther Cup victory
November 3, 2018 Football drops NACC game at Rockford
October 29, 2018 CUW mourns passing of Arnie Garber
October 27, 2018 Football stunned in final seconds by Eureka
October 23, 2018 Mason named NACC Special Teams Player of the Week
October 22, 2018 Josh Sanders: pushing himself forward
October 13, 2018 Football earns come-from-behind victory
October 6, 2018 Defensive state of mind
October 2, 2018 Falcon Focus Podcast (October 2, 2018)
October 2, 2018 Nixon named NACC Offensive Player of the Week
September 29, 2018 Offense explodes in victory at Benedictine
September 18, 2018 Mason, McDermit earn NACC weekly honors
September 18, 2018 Football hosts youth clinic
September 15, 2018 Football grinds out victory over Scots
September 11, 2018 Nixon earns NACC Offensive Player of the Week
September 8, 2018 Football scores three TDs in fourth during home opener
September 1, 2018 Football scores early in season-opening road win at Finlandia
August 28, 2018 #CUWStatsInfo: Football ready for 2018 season
August 17, 2018 Football chosen to finish sixth in NACC preseason poll
August 16, 2018 A bond built on trust