MEQUON, Wis. -- Concordia Wisconsin and Wisconsin Lutheran will meet at Tomasini Stadium on Saturday for a 1 pm kickoff with the Luther Cup on the line.
Who: Concordia Wisconsin (1-4, 0-2 NACC) vs. Wisconsin Lutheran (1-4, 0-2 NACC)
Where: Tomasini Stadium (Mequon, Wis.)
When: Saturday, October 14 (1 pm)
Live Coverage: Live video click here or live statistics (also includes live video) click here
DIGITAL GAME PROGRAM
- Fans can access the digital game program for Saturday's game by clicking here. Printed programs are also available in a limited quantity at the game for $2 each.
NOTES TO CONSIDER
• MONEY PLAYS TO WAGNER: Ryan Wagner has made 10 receptions and eight of those have resulted in a 'money play', meaning a first down or touchdown. The junior wide receiver has eight first-down receptions and has twice caught a touchdown this season.
• DEFENSIVE SCORING: Jon Rauh forced and recovered a fumble, which he returned 80 yards for a touchdown last Saturday at Benedictine. It was the first defensive touchdown of the season by the Falcons and the 21st by the defense since joining the NACC in 2008. Overall, the defense has scored 132 points over the past nine-plus seasons (12 fumble returns, nine interceptions and three safeties).
• LONG PLAYS: Long plays are considered those that go 20 yards or further and the Falcons have accumulated 34 long plays this season. Of those, Isaiah Tenette has recorded seven of those and one has resulted in a touchdown -- 99-yard, record-breaking, season-opening kickoff against Finlandia. In addition, 14 long plays have come via the pass and 11 from kickoff returns.
• FEWER WHISTLES: Concordia Wisconsin is being kind to the officials this season and ranks 31st nationally and first in the NACC in fewest penalty yards per game. They are being whistled for 43.5 yards of infractions per game, which is half of what last year's average was of 87.8 penalty yards per game.
• BALANCED TURNOVERS: The Falcons have five players who intercepted a pass and six who have recovered a fumble. Their 13 turnovers rank second in the NACC.
• POUNDING THE ROCK: Wisconsin Lutheran leads the NACC with nine rushing touchdowns and is third with 734 rushing yards. The Warriors are led by the duo of Pat Mathieson and Joshua Cason who have 273 and 231 yards on the ground, respectively. Just once this season has either gone for over 100 yards, which was last Saturday when Mathieson recorded 120 yards, to go along with three touchdowns.
• A HOLD ON THE LUTHER CUP: The Warriors have a grasp on the Luther Cup after winning the trophy game the past three seasons, with two of those coming on their home turf. They hold a 5-4 series lead when the Cup is on the line and have won by an average of just six points in their victories.
• RED ZONE SUCCESS: Wisconsin Lutheran enters Saturday's contest perfect in the red zone at 11-of-11, with each trip ending in a touchdown. Of those 11 scores, seven have come on the ground and four were scored by quarterback Pat Mathieson. Wide receiver Chris Norvilus has also scored twice in the red zone, but of the rushing variety.
• PERFORMING WELL IN THE NACC: Wisconsin Lutheran has performed well in the NACC over the last nine-plus seasons, posting a 38-19 record. During the 2014 season, they shared the league title and have won five games in league play three times. On the other side of the field, Concordia Wisconsin is 35-26 during the NACC era.
• MATHIESON DOING IT ALL: Quarterback Pat Mathieson ranks sixth all-time in Wisconsin Lutheran history with 3,298 total offensive yards (2,497 passing, 801 rushing).