Lisle, Ill. – Concordia Wisconsin made a trip across the border into Illinois to try and get back in the win category. Unfortunately, the Falcons ran into a solid Benedictine unit that used a heavy passing attack to get the victory.
Final Score: Benedictine 40, Concordia Wisconsin 14
Location: Lisle-Benedictine University Sports Complex (Lisle, Ill.)
Records: Benedictine 3-2 (2-0 NACC), Concordia Wisconsin 1-4 (0-2 NACC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Concordia Wisconsin and Benedictine traded possessions early in the game, the Eagles ended up striking first with a beautiful 15-yard touchdown pass from Ryan Sample to Brandon Moore. Benedictine followed the score with a two-point conversion that gave the Eagles the lead and they never surrendered it.
- The Falcons later responded with big play through the air as freshman Dalton Poole (Kewaskum, Wis.) connected with junior Ryan Wagner (Mukwonago, Wis.) on a 63-yard pass that brought Concordia Wisconsin within one-point and a chance to make a statement.
- Quickly after the big play from the Falcons, Benedictine came right back and tossed a 75-yard touchdown pass, coming from the same pair of Sample and Moore. Being down 15-7, CUW brought back a fumble recovery on the kickoff, 80-yards to draw within one-point again. This back and forth didn't last long however as the Eagles went on to score 24 unanswered points on their way to 26-point lead and a 40-14 final score.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Benedictine gained 547 yards on offense and were able to pick up 7-of-14 third downs on their way to win the time of possession (POSS) battle 31:38 compared to the Falcons' 28:22 POSS.
- Ryan Sample completed 81% of his passes on 30-37 attempts for 413 yards and five touchdown passes.
- The Eagles had two receivers over 100-yards, as Moore and Dean Pauley posted yardage totals of 159 and 116. Moore also corralled three touchdowns to go along with Pauley's one touchdown reception.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- Concordia Wisconsin will come back home to face-off with Wisconsin Lutheran on Saturday, October 14 at Tomasini Stadium in Mequon, Wis. at 1:00 pm.