MEQUON, Wis. – Aaron Nixon dropped back and heaved a pass down the left sideline to a wide-open Kevin Folker for the game-winning touchdown to give Concordia Wisconsin a 49-46 decision over Rockford in front of an electrifying Homecoming crowd.
Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 49, Rockford 46
Location: Tomasini Stadium (Mequon, Wis.)
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 3-6, 1-5 NACC; Rockford 1-8, 0-5 NACC
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Rockford appeared to have won the game after a long nine-play, 93-yard drive that was capped by a Kalan Miller 17-yard touchdown grab from Andrew Perez to put the visitors in front 46-31. The Regents went for the two-point conversion, but the pass failed.
- On the ensuing kickoff, it was freshman Isaiah Tenette (Sacrament, Calif.) who returned a short kickoff 15 yards to the 40-yard line to setup the Falcons offense. After Folker hauled in a 14-yard pass, he sprinted down the left sideline past the Regents bench to haul in the game-winning grab to give the hosts their first NACC victory of the season and snap a six-game losing streak.
- It has happened before this season, these back-and-forth high-scoring games, but never ending in Concordia Wisconsin's favor. However, with a Homecoming crowd backing them, they held off a possible upset when senior Malcolm Bowers (Germantown, Wis.) intercepted a Perez Hail Mary pass in the end zone with no time left on the clock.
- The Falcons scored touchdowns on five of their last seven possessions and defensively intercepted two passes and forced and recovered three fumbles.
- Tenette led the Falcons with 105 rushing yards on 15 carries (6.9 average), while Nixon rushed for a touchdown.
- Nixon also threw for 340 yards and five touchdowns on 25-of-35 passing, but did throw three interceptions.
- Senior Dante Edwards (Glendale, Ariz.) hauled in six passes for 91 yards and a score, while senior Kevin Folker (Milwaukee, Wis.) had five catches for a team-best 111 yards and career-best two touchdown grabs. Tenette also caught a touchdown pass.
- Tenette finished the game with 246 all-purpose yards, which included 119 kickoff return yards.
- Sophomore Jacob Mason had four touchbacks on seven kickoffs.
- Junior Richie Guess (Home Glen, Ill.) led the defense for the Falcons with 12 tackles (five solo), two forced fumbles, a fumble recovery and a sack. He also scored the first touchdown of the game and his career on a 10-yard fumble return.
- Sophomore James Dills (Milwaukee, Wis.) had a career-high nine tackles (six solo), while Bowers and senior Bryan Thomas (Lowell, Ind.) had an interception each. Bowers also broke up two passes. Senior William Turner Jr. (Milwaukee, Wis.) also recorded a sack.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Prior to the game, the Falcons honored their senior class and those leaving the program with a ceremony.
- The Regents held a massive 36:22 to 17:46 difference in time of possession, including holding the ball for 11 minutes and 53 seconds in the final quarter.
- Both teams combined for 14-of-24 on third-down conversions (Rockford – 8-of-13; CUW 6-of-11).
- Rockford was 6-of-7 in the red zone and Concordia Wisconsin converted on all three attempts.
- Rockford's Chance Manning rushed for a game-high 148 yards on 24 carries (6.0 average).
- Andrew Perez passed for 264 yards and two touchdowns on 20-of-29 passing.
- Mar Sean Vercher was the go-to target with 13 receptions for 193 yards and two touchdowns.
- Defensively, Jared Johnson led the Regents with 10 tackles (four solo), while Jose Robies recovered a fumble and had nine tackles (six solo). Lamear Downes forced a fumble and had two interceptions.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- Concordia Wisconsin travels to Hope for the season finale non-conference game at 1 pm EST.