MILWAUKEE, Wis. – A week after the offense seemingly couldn't be stopped, Concordia Wisconsin struggled with the ball on Saturday afternoon during a 26-14 loss at Wisconsin Lutheran. The Falcons also gave up 319 rushing yards and turned the ball over three times.
Final Score: Wisconsin Lutheran 26, Concordia Wisconsin 14
Location: Raabe Stadium (Milwaukee, Wis.)
Records: Wisconsin Lutheran 2-4, 2-1 NACC; Concordia Wisconsin 2-4, 0-3 NACC
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Concordia Wisconsin's offense struggled from the start on Saturday, scoring just once during its first nine drives before halftime. Their drives in order during the opening 30 minutes of play were three-straight punts, a passing touchdown, followed by three more punts, a fumble and a drive that ended the half.
- Meanwhile, Wisconsin Lutheran pounded the ball often on the ground and piled up 319 rushing yards on 56 carries (5.7 average). They were also 5-of-7 in the red zone with three touchdowns and a pair of field goals.
- Following an Andrew Sherman 3-yard touchdown reception from Pat Mathieson and a 32-yard field goal by Sasha Bornschlegl, the Falcons scored from 22 yards out after Aaron Nixon connected with Derrick Estfan in the opening quarter.
- Wisconsin Lutheran kicked another field goal (21 yards) and Jake Anderson connected with Jared Bruemmer from the three-yard-line to put the hosts in front 20-7 before halftime.
- Concordia Wisconsin cut into its deficit with a Nixon 1-yard rushing touchdown in the third quarter, but the Warriors answered on the next drive with a Mathieson 1-yard rushing score.
- The Falcons amassed just 248 total offensive yards, including a dismal 20 on the ground on 29 attempts.
- Nixon finished with 228 passing yards on 19-of-36 with one touchdown and interception. He was also sacked seven times.
- Junior Kevin Folker (Milwaukee, Wis.) had an impressive game with nine receptions for 149 yards.
- Senior Bryan Thomas (Lowell, Ind.) and senior James Thomsen (Mount Prospect, Ill.) each had a game-high-tying 13 tackles. Thomas recovered a fumble and Thomsen forced a fumble.
- Senior De'Shawn Pullen (Milwaukee, Wis.) ended the contest with 4.5 tackles for loss (12 yards) and a sack.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Neither team was successful on third-down conversions, with the Falcons ending 3-of-15 and the Warriors going 3-of-14.
- Both teams combined for 12 punts covering 356 yards.
- Bruemmer ended the victory with 193 rushing yards on 29 carries (6.7 average). He also had six receptions for 26 yards and a score.
- Larry Meeks led the Warriors with nine tackles, while JD Leisemann had 4.0 tackles for loss (36 yards) and Logan Troutman posted 3.5 tackles for loss (12 yards). Leisemann and Troutman each had three sacks.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- Concordia Wisconsin hosts Concordia Chicago on Saturday, October 22 at 1 pm at Tomasini Stadium