MEQUON, Wis. – Concordia Wisconsin took on Wisconsin Lutheran in a doubleheader on Sunday. The Falcons spilt the doubleheader dropping the first one by the score of 1-0 and winning the second game in explosive fashion by the way of 13-0.
Final Score: Game one: Wisconsin Lutheran 1, Concordia Wisconsin 0, Game two: Concordia Wisconsin 13, Wisconsin Lutheran 0
Location: Kapco Park (Mequon, Wis.)
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 14-12, 4-6 NACC; Wisconsin Lutheran 9-16, 6-5 NACC
HOW IT HAPPENED (Game One)
- In a tight game throughout Wisconsin Lutheran was able to get a run across in the bottom of the fourth inning when Kasey Zdroik reached base on a dropped fly ball, which brought in Ryan Michael who singled to left field in an earlier at-bat.
- The fifth inning was an opportunity for the Falcons to get a run back. Senior Kyle Hilliard (Oak Forest, Ill.) singled to right field and was able to get all the way to third after two walks, with runners in scoring position CUW was unable to get the run in, as they left three on base during the inning. Concordia Wisconsin couldn't get the tying run across and fell in game one 1-0.
- Senior Kyle Washburn (Pleasant Prairie, Wis.) went 1-for-3, and senior Justin Barney (Kenosha, Wis.) went 1-for-4 during the first game. Concordia Wisconsin's pitching performed well, as sophomore Matthew Olig (Plymouth, Wis.) gave up three hits and one run, while walking four and striking out three over eight innings.
HOW IT HAPPENED (Game Two)
- After a short break, the Falcons came out swinging and scored multiple runs in each of the first three innings. CUW was able to get senior Dan Ranieri (Loves Park, Ill.) and senior Nathan Thyssen (Appleton, Wis.) into scoring position, shortly after junior Eric Paz (Kenosha, Wis.) singled to center and brought both into score to bring the score to 2-0.
- The second inning was a momentum building inning for Concordia Wisconsin, as Ranieri brought in Thyssen and two batters later Hilliard doubled down the left field line scoring Ranieri and senior Michael Szeszol (Lake Bluff, Ill.). The offensive outburst brought the score to 6-0 in favor of CUW.
- The Falcons went on to score seven more runs, with five coming in the top of the sixth inning. The inning was highlighted by Szeszol home run to left field. Szeszol went on to go 3-for-5 with four RBIs. Ranieri also went 3-for-5 with three runs and one RBI, along with a 2-for-4 day from Washburn.
- The pitching staff also excelled for Concordia Wisconsin, as freshman Tyler Moilanen (Pleasant Prairie, Wis.) struck out six over seven innings, while only allowing one hit.
- Ryan Michael, Brett Jakel, and Jake Constien all came away with hits for the Warriors. Michael was the lone runner, as Kasey Zdroik was able to draw two walks.
- The Falcons will travel to Benedictine for a doubleheader on Wednesday with Game one scheduled for 3:00 pm and Game two for 6:00 pm.