MEQUON, Wis. – The Concordia University Wisconsin Baseball team was swept in a NACC twinbill Tuesday against Marian. The Sabres took the opener, 12-3, before taking game two, 9-2.
- Final Scores: Marian 12, CUW 3; Marian 9, CUW 2
- Location: Kapco Park – Mequon, Wisconsin
- Records: Marian 6-11, 2-2 NACC; CUW 11-10, 1-4 NACC
GAME ONE (MARIAN 12, CUW 3)
- The theme of the day was the Sabres taking advantage of the odd-numbered innings. Marian, which scored 21 runs over the two games, did all of its damage in odd-numbered frames including two runs in the first. The Falcons responded with two in the bottom of the first but Marian put on three in the third and five in the fifth in the opener.
- Michael Pappas led the Sabres at the plate with two hits and four RBI. The Marian 1-3 hitters (Hunter Berry, Travis Slywka, and Jordan Walker) each scored two runs as did Matt Nordlund.
- Zachariah Sandoval got the win for Marian, throwing eight innings and allowing three runs. The Falcons used five pitchers in the opener, freshman Tyler Moilanen (Pleasant Prairie, Wis.) the most effective with 3.2 perfect frames. The rookie right-hander struck out four batters.
- Matt Luft (Oshkosh, Wis.) and Dan Ranieri (Loves Park, Ill.) each had two this to pace the Falcons offense.
GAME TWO (MARIAN 9, CUW 2)
- The odd-numbered inning scoring worked so well for Marian in the opener they went right back to it in game two. All nine of Marian's runs in game two and all 21 runs over the doubleheader were scored in odd-numbered frames, including four in the first of the nightcap. Marian led 7-0 after the top of the fifth, plating two in the third and one in the fifth as well.
- Pappas added two doubles, three runs, and two RBI to complete a solid day for the Marian cleanup hitter. Sean Meyer collected four hits in game two, while Josh Gates scored three runs.
- Jordan Bock got the win for Marian, also throwing eight innings. The Falcons used four pitchers in game two with Seth Cox (Gilbert, Ariz.) getting the start and the decision.
- Luft collected three of the Falcons five hits in game two, while Michael Szeszol (Lake Bluff, Ill.) had a triple.
- The Falcons will host No. 4 Concordia Chicago Saturday in a NACC doubleheader. First pitch is scheduled for 12 p.m.