TUCSON, Ariz. – The Concordia University Wisconsin Baseball team began its 10-game Arizona trip on a winning note Sunday, sweeping a doubleheader from Augsburg. The Falcons lineup produced in both games, combining for 22 runs as CUW won by scores of 14-1 and 8-3.
- Final Scores: CUW 14, Augsburg 1; CUW 8, Augsburg 3
- Location: Veterans Memorial Stadium – Tucson, Arizona
- Records: CUW 3-2; Augsburg 3-3
CUW 14, AUGSBURG 1
- The Falcons wasted little time in jumping on the Auggies, scoring four runs in the first inning of game one. CUW had four big innings in the game, scoring four in the first, three in the third, five in fifth, and two in the sixth.
- Austen Dart (Algoma, Wis.) paced the Falcons at the plate, going 3-for-3 with four runs scored and two RBI. Dart finished a home run shy of the cycle. Drew Barth (Pewaukee, Wis.) added two hits as the Falcons used a balanced attack to take game one. Nine different players drove in runs and seven different Falcons scored.
- Andrew Gibbons (Markesan, Wis.) went the distance in the opener, scattering six hits in seven innings. He walked one and struck out three.
- The Falcons finished the game with five extra-base hits led by Dart's two. Kyle Hilliard (Oak Forest, Ill.), Justin Barney (Kenosha, Wis.), and Barth all added doubles.
CUW 8, AUGSBURG 3
- The Falcons carried the momentum over into game two, scoring twice in the first and three times in the second inning. Nathan Thyssen (Appleton, Wis.) and Dan Ranieri (Loves Park, Ill.) paced the team in game two. Thyssen belted a home run and added a triple, while Ranieri went 3-for-4 with two runs scored. Barney added three hits for the Falcons.
- Matthew Olig (Plymouth, Wis.) was fantastic in five innings of work in gaining the win for the Falcons. Olig struck out six and gave up just three hits and one run. Scott Plachinski (South Milwaukee, Wis.) got the final six outs for the Falcons.
- CUW led 7-0 in the nightcap, adding two runs in the fourth inning and giving the Falcons seven big innings throughout the day. Seven different players collected hits in game two.
- Augsburg made things interesting by scoring two runs and loading the bases in the top of the sixth. Plachinski was able to navigate his way out of the inning, keeping the lead 7-3. The Falcons added a run in the bottom of the sixth for the 8-3 final.
- It will be a quick turnaround for the Falcons as they'll take on Framingham State at 9 a.m. western time tomorrow morning. CUW will play two against Framingham State.