ORANGE, Calif. – Eddy Morgan recorded his 100th win as the Concordia University Wisconsin Baseball coach Sunday as the Falcons recorded a 2-1 comeback win over Chapman. The combination of Matthew Olig and Scott Plachinski on the mound, combined with a ninth-inning rally helped secure the milestone victory for Morgan.
- Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 2, Chapman 1
- Location: Hart Park – Orange, California
- Records: CUW 1-2; Chapman 8-5
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After watching Chapman score 22 runs over the first two games of the series, Olig (Plymouth, Wis.) turned in a gem for the Falcons with seven quality innings. He needed just 70 pitches as he allowed just three hits and three walks in his seven innings of work.
- Scott Plachinski (South Milwaukee, Wis.) came on for the final two innings and picked up the win for the Falcons. Plachinski allowed just one baserunner to reach (hit batsmen) over his two innings of work.
- The Falcons entered the ninth inning trailing 1-0 but pinch-hitter Austen Dart (Algoma, Wis.) sparked a rally with a leadoff double down the right-field line. Drew Barth (Pewaukee, Wis.) came into run for Dart and leadoff batter Matt Luft (Oshkosh, Wis.) bunted for a single, putting runners at the corners with nobody out.
- Chapman got the next CUW batter to foul out before Dan Ranieri (Loves Park, Ill.) tied the game with a single through the right side, scoring Barth and advancing Luft to third. Michael Szeszol (Lake Bluff, Ill.) then gave the Falcons a lead with a sacrifice fly, scoring Luft for the 2-1 advantage.
- The two teams combined for just nine hits, with the Falcons totaling six, three off the bat of Ranieri. Luft added two hits while Dart had the game's only extra-base hit, the leadoff double in the ninth.
- Tyler Peck threw five shutout innings for Chapman. Peck had his stuff working with 10 strikeouts over the five frames. Cody Turner added two shutout frames, while Jonathan Hernandez took the loss, surrendering two runs in two innings of work.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Morgan owns a 100-72 record in his four-plus seasons with the Falcons. He now has 205 career victories, winning 104 games with UW-Superior before becoming the lead man for Concordia Wisconsin.
- The Falcons will begin a 10-game Arizona spring trip with two against Augsburg next Sunday, March 11. First pitch is set for 4 p.m. in Tucson.
May 12, 2018 Baseball season comes to an end in NACC Tournament
May 11, 2018 NACC Baseball Tournament Update: Friday postponed
May 10, 2018 Ranieri, Plachinski earn All-NACC honors
May 5, 2018 MSOE takes two from Baseball Saturday
May 4, 2018 Preview: Falcons host Raiders on Senior Day
April 30, 2018 Baseball escapes with wild win at Rockford
April 28, 2018 Baseball takes game two in split at Dominican
April 24, 2018 Plachinski lands on D3Baseball.com Team of the Week
April 21, 2018 Baseball settles for split against Lakeland
April 20, 2018 Preview: Baseball hosts Lakeland for two Saturday
April 10, 2018 Baseball swept by Marian
April 9, 2018 Preview: Baseball welcomes Marian to Kapco Park
April 7, 2018 Sunday Baseball doubleheader at Benedictine postponed
April 6, 2018 Saturday Baseball doubleheader postponed
March 30, 2018 Preview: Baseball opens NACC play against Spartans
March 30, 2018 Baseball responds in game two, salvages split against Aurora
March 28, 2018 Baseball doubleheader against Aurora moved to Friday
March 25, 2018 Baseball edged by Ripon in non-conference action
March 23, 2018 Olig, Barney lead Baseball to shutout win over Northland
March 22, 2018 Baseball game with Ripon moved to Sunday
March 22, 2018 Preview: Baseball hosts two games this weekend
March 20, 2018 Ranieri collects NACC Baseball Player of the Week honors
March 16, 2018 Baseball secures split with Salem State
March 14, 2018 Baseball slugs way to pair of victories Wednesday in Arizona
March 12, 2018 Framingham State sweeps Falcons in twinbill
March 11, 2018 Baseball sweeps Augsburg to begin Arizona trip
March 2, 2018 Baseball opener at Chapman halted by rain
January 25, 2018 Baseball tabbed second in NACC Preseason Poll
August 16, 2017 Mandatory Baseball players meeting set for August 28