ORANGE, Calif. – The Concordia University Wisconsin Baseball team couldn't slow down a potent Chapman offense as the Falcons dropped a pair of games to open the 2018 season Saturday. In the opener, which began Friday night before being halted by rain, the Falcons fell 9-2 before falling by a 13-5 score in the originally scheduled Saturday contest.
- Final Scores: Chapman 9, CUW 2; Chapman 13, CUW 5
- Location: Hart Park – Orange, California
- Records: Chapman 8-4; CUW 0-2
CHAPMAN 9, CUW 2
- The Falcons and Panthers were tied 2-2 before the game was suspended due to rain Friday night. The Panthers would score once more in the bottom of the third when play resumed and they added two runs in the sixth and four in the seventh for the 9-2 final.
- The Falcons offense was led by Dan Ranieri (Loves Park, Ill.) as the third baseman roped a two-RBI double in the third inning. Ranieri and Nathan Thyssen (Appleton, Wis.) each finished with two hits, both players recording a double.
- Alex Prickett (Cedarburg, Wis.) was the pitcher of record as he pitched Friday night and went 2.2 innings before Mother Nature stepped in. Prickett gave up two three runs, two earned and struck out three. The Falcons used three pitchers to finish the game, including Ryan McEnroe (Lac du Flambeau, Wis.) who tossed 1.2 scoreless innings.
- Four different Panthers collected two hits in the first game, including Andrew Mendonca who finished 2-for-4 with a solo home run in the seventh. Matt Mogollon got the win for the Panthers, striking out 10 batters in six innings of work. Mason Collins worked the final three innings for the save.
CHAPMAN 13, CUW 5
- CUW took a 1-0 lead in Saturday's originally scheduled game but the Panthers erupted for six runs in the bottom half. Chapman would score 10 runs in its first five at-bats, building a 10-3 lead after five innings of play.
- Four of the Falcons six hits in the contest were doubles as Michael Szeszol (Lake Bluff, Ill.), Kyle Hilliard (Oak Forest, Ill.), Tyler Haffey (Mount Prospect, Ill.), and Eric Paz (Kenosha, Wis.) all recorded doubles.
- Andrew Gibbons (Markesan, Wis.) took the loss for CUW as he was touched up for eight runs in the first. Michael Enriquez (Chicago, Ill.), one of three Falcons relievers, threw two scoreless innings.
- Chapman finished the game with 12 hits and the Falcons helped the Panthers out as well by committing four errors. Tristan Kevitch collected three hits for the Panthers while Conner Larkin drove in four runs. Joey Harmon got the win for Chapman, pitching five innings and allowing three runs, two earned.
- CUW was originally scheduled to play Ursinus Sunday morning but due to travel issues for the Bears, the Falcons will battle Chapman once again. First pitch is set for 11 a.m. Pacific.
May 12, 2018 Baseball season comes to an end in NACC Tournament
May 11, 2018 NACC Baseball Tournament Update: Friday postponed
May 10, 2018 Ranieri, Plachinski earn All-NACC honors
May 5, 2018 MSOE takes two from Baseball Saturday
May 4, 2018 Preview: Falcons host Raiders on Senior Day
April 30, 2018 Baseball escapes with wild win at Rockford
April 28, 2018 Baseball takes game two in split at Dominican
April 24, 2018 Plachinski lands on D3Baseball.com Team of the Week
April 21, 2018 Baseball settles for split against Lakeland
April 20, 2018 Preview: Baseball hosts Lakeland for two Saturday
April 10, 2018 Baseball swept by Marian
April 9, 2018 Preview: Baseball welcomes Marian to Kapco Park
April 7, 2018 Sunday Baseball doubleheader at Benedictine postponed
April 6, 2018 Saturday Baseball doubleheader postponed
March 30, 2018 Preview: Baseball opens NACC play against Spartans
March 30, 2018 Baseball responds in game two, salvages split against Aurora
March 28, 2018 Baseball doubleheader against Aurora moved to Friday
March 25, 2018 Baseball edged by Ripon in non-conference action
March 23, 2018 Olig, Barney lead Baseball to shutout win over Northland
March 22, 2018 Baseball game with Ripon moved to Sunday
March 22, 2018 Preview: Baseball hosts two games this weekend
March 20, 2018 Ranieri collects NACC Baseball Player of the Week honors
March 16, 2018 Baseball secures split with Salem State
March 14, 2018 Baseball slugs way to pair of victories Wednesday in Arizona
March 12, 2018 Framingham State sweeps Falcons in twinbill
March 11, 2018 Baseball sweeps Augsburg to begin Arizona trip
March 2, 2018 Baseball opener at Chapman halted by rain
January 25, 2018 Baseball tabbed second in NACC Preseason Poll
August 16, 2017 Mandatory Baseball players meeting set for August 28