MEQUON, Wis. – The Concordia University Wisconsin Baseball team celebrated its Senior Class the right way Saturday, by sweeping Marian University in a NACC doubleheader. The Falcons came from behind for a 3-2 win in the opener before rolling to a 10-1 win in game two.
- Final Scores: CUW 3, Marian 2; CUW 10, Marian 1
- Location: Kapco Park – Mequon, Wisconsin
- Records: CUW 23-9, 13-3 NACC; Marian 11-22, 5-11 NACC
TEWES AND COX POSTGAME
CUW 3, MARIAN 2 (GAME ONE)
- The Falcons trailed nearly the entire game in the opener as Marian scored two early runs in the second inning. CUW would plate one in the third before winning the game with two in the bottom of the eighth inning.
- In the eighth, senior Bryan Thomas (Lowell, Ind.) tied the game with a RBI single, plating Matt Luft (Oshkosh, Wis.). Thomas would score the winning run when senior Isaac Tewes (Chaska, Minn.) was walked with the bases loaded.
- Seth Cox (Gilbert, Ariz.) was the story of the opener as he delivered 5.2 scoreless innings in relief for the Falcons. Cox came on in the third and pitched through the eighth inning for his first collegiate victory. She gave up just four hits and struck out three while not issuing a free pass.
- Scott Plachinksi (South Milwaukee, Wis.) came on for the save in the opener, his NACC-leading seventh of the season. He worked around a walk in a scoreless frame.
- Senior Matt Schubert (West Bend, Wis.) paced the Falcons with three hits, including a RBI single in the third. Thomas added two hits and recorded his 40th RBI of the season in the eighth inning.
CUW 10, MARIAN 1 (GAME TWO)
- Thomas added three more hits and two more RBIs to continue his NACC Player of the Year candidacy in game two. The senior now leads the conference in both batting average (.436) and RBIs (42).
- Matthew Olig was outstanding in picking up his fourth win of the season for CUW. Olig (Plymouth, Wis.) worked seven innings, allowing just one run. He scattered five hits with one strikeout and three walks. Niko Kutsulis (Homer Glen, Ill.) and Alex Prickett (Franklin, Wis.) each worked scoreless frames in the eighth and ninth innings.
- After no scoring in the first three innings, CUW went up 1-0 in the fourth on a RBI single off the bat of Kyle Hilliard (Oak Forest, Ill.). The Sabres would tie the game in the top of the fifth with a run-scoring single off the bat of Trey Johnson.
- The Falcons scored a run thanks to a couple of Marian errors in the fifth inning and then added three in the sixth and four more in the seventh inning. Nathan Thyssen (Kimberly, Wis.) recorded RBIs in each frame and finished the game with two hits, two RBIs and two runs scored. Thyssen, Schubert, and Justin Barney (Kenosha, Wis.) all doubled in the win, Schubert scoring a team-best three runs.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The senior class of Schubert, Tewes, Thomas, Mitchell Dubnicka (Hartland, Wis.), Luke Wirtz (Marshfield, Wis.) and Andrew Heideman (Bakersfield, Calif.) was celebrated between games Saturday. The six players have helped lead CUW to 94 wins over the past four seasons.
- CUW took a big step in trying to secure a first-round bye in the NACC Tournament. The Falcons can wrap up at least a No. 2 seed with a split against MSOE tomorrow.
- The Falcons will visit The Rock Complex in Franklin, Wisconsin tomorrow to take on MSOE in a NACC doubleheader. First pitch is set for noon.