RIPON, Wis. – Another game and another impressive showing for the Concordia University Wisconsin Baseball lineup. On Wednesday, the Falcons continued to roll, scoring 10 or more runs for the fifth time in their last six games, this time picking up a 10-1 win over Ripon.
- Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 10, Ripon 1
- Location: Francis Field – Ripon, Wisconsin
- Records: CUW 16-8; Ripon 5-19
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Falcons, as they have many times during this recent hot streak, jumped out to an early lead on Wednesday. CUW scored three times in both the first and second innings and added a run in the third for a 7-0 lead. The Falcons would go on to score two more in the fifth and both teams pushed one across in the eighth.
- Matt Schubert (West Bend, Wis.) gave CUW an early lead with a RBI single, plating Dan Ranieri (Loves Park, Ill.) in the first. Kyle Hilliard (Oak Forest, Ill.) then doubled in Schubert, while Nathan Thyssen drove in the final run with a RBI groundout. In the second inning, it was Matt Luft (Oshkosh, Wis.) and Bryan Thomas (Lowell, Ind.) driving in runs, while Schubert scored once again on a passed ball.
- Thyssen (Appleton, Wis.) put CUW up with an inside-the-park home run in the third inning, his third home run of the season. He scored two runs in the game, as did Ranieri and Schubert. Ranieri, Schubert, Hilliard, and Kyle Washburn (Pleasant Prairie, Wis.) all picked up two hits, one of Washburn's being a RBI single in the fifth.
- Freshman Alex Prickett (Franklin, Wis.) threw five scoreless in picking up his second win of the season. Prickett allowed just two hits and finished his afternoon with two strikeouts compared to two walks.
- Three Falcons relievers threw the final four innings, including Mike Magdziarz (Frankfort, Ill.) who returned to the mound for the first time since April 2 due to injuries. Magdziarz threw well, working two perfect frames. Brett Kolacki (Midlothian, Ill.) pitched the eighth, while Scott Plachinski (South Milwaukee, Wis.) worked a scoreless ninth.
- Ripon went the way of pitching by committee on Wednesday, throwing nine different players one inning each. David Knapp, Garrett Kaczrowski, Chris Huettner, and Ryan Maier all worked scoreless frames for the Red Hawks.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- CUW has hit in bunches over the last week. In six games dating back to last Tuesday, the Falcons have scored 77 runs, an average of 12.8 runs per contest. Three of those games came against teams mentioned in the latest D3Baseball.com Poll.
- The Falcons will return to action Saturday with a home NACC doubleheader against Lakeland. First pitch from Kapco Park is set for noon.