ORANGE, Calif. – With the game tied at 1-1 through four innings of the rubber game between Chapman and Concordia Wisconsin, it was the host Panthers who finished strong, scoring 11 runs from the fifth through the seventh for a 12-1 win over the Falcons. CUW finished the three-game set at Chapman with a 1-2 record.
- Final Score: Chapman 12, Concordia Wisconsin 1
- Location: Hart Park – Orange, California
- Records: Concordia Wisconsin 1-2; Chapman 11-4
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The game turned in the bottom of the fifth as the Panthers scored five times to take a 6-1 lead. Justin Stream roped a bases-clearing double to break the tie and the Panthers added two runs on a double off the bat of John Wiehe.
- The Chapman offense continued to add to the lead with two runs in the sixth inning and four in the seventh, making the score 12-1. Chapman totaled 14 hits in the contest and Stream finished the game with six RBI.
- The Falcons lone run came in the top of the fourth, tying the game up at the time. Chapman scored in the bottom of the first to build a 1-0 lead before Nathan Thyssen (Appleton, Wis.) scored on a passed ball for CUW.
- CUW finished the game with five hits, two each from the first two batters in the lineup, Dan Ranieri (Loves Park, Ill.) and Bryan Thomas (Lowell, Ind.). Thyssen reached three times, all via walks.
- The Falcon pitching staff struggled with control, issuing eight walks in the game. Sophomore Nick Hirst (Davenport, Iowa) and freshman Nick Fox (Urbandale, Iowa) were the most effective of the Falcons pitchers, each throwing one scoreless frame in relief.
- CUW will have a week off before beginning its eight-game spring trip to Arizona. The Falcons will start that stretch next Sunday with a doubleheader against Illinois Institute of Technology next Sunday.