ORANGE, Calif. – After scoring two runs in the top of the ninth to tie the game at 3-3 it looked as if the Concordia University Wisconsin Baseball team had a chance at a comeback win in its 2017 season opener at Chapman on Friday night. However, mistakes in the ninth inning led to a Chapman run, resulting in a 4-3 final. The host Panthers scored the winning run on a walk-off balk.
- Final Score: Chapman 4, Concordia Wisconsin 3
- Location: Hart Park – Orange, California
- Records: Chapman 10-3; Concordia Wisconsin 0-1
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The score was 3-1 for much of the night Friday as it remained that way from the top of the second all the way until the Falcons stepped up for their last at-bat in the top of the ninth. That is when CUW tied the game with a pair of runs. After a leadoff walk, senior Isaac Tewes (Chaska, Minn.) doubled in senior Bryan Thomas (Lowell, Ind.) to make the score 3-2.
- The Falcons could not carry momentum over to the bottom half of the ninth as mistakes allowed Chapman to gain the one-run win. The Panthers first batter in the ninth, Christian Cosby, reached on an error, putting him on second base. A sacrifice bunt moved him over to third and a balk allowed him to score, handing the Falcons the crushing defeat.
- The rest of the scoring came early on Friday as Chapman jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the first. Three of the Panthers first five hitters delivered RBI hits, including doubles by Gavin Blodgett and Tyler Cook.
- The Falcons scored their first run of 2017 in the bottom of the second as Thomas singled in junior Kyle Hilliard (Oak Forest, Ill.). Hilliard began the frame with a single.
- CUW outhit Chapman 9-7 on Friday and were paced by two hits from three different players. Ranieri collected a pair of hits from the top of the order, while Tewes and junior Kyle Washburn (Pleasant Prairie, Wis.) also totaled two hits.
- Senior Andrew Heideman (Bakersfield, Calif.) settled in after the first inning and delivered a career-best 10 strikeouts in a return to his home state. Heideman went 5.2 innings, allowing six hits and issuing one free pass.
- The Falcons bullpen pitched well, throwing 2.2 innings and not allowing an earned run. Junior Scott Plachinski (South Milwaukee, Wis.) pitched 1.1 innings with a pair of strikeouts.
- The Falcons and Chapman will play game two of a three-game set tomorrow afternoon. First pitch is set for 3 p.m. (central).