TUCSON, Ariz. – The Concordia University Wisconsin Baseball team found itself three outs away from being swept by Augsburg College Thursday afternoon in Tucson. Fortunately the Falcons bats responded with a two-run bottom of the seventh in game two, splitting a twinbill with the Auggies. Sophomore Nathan Thyssen (Appleton, Wis.) delivered a game-winning double for the Falcons. CUW won game two 5-4 after falling by a 10-3 score in the opener.
- Final Scores: Augsburg 10, Concordia Wisconsin 3 (Game 1); CUW 5, Augsburg 4 (Game 2)
- Location: Kino Sports Complex – Tucson, Ariz.
- Records: Concordia Wisconsin 3-5; Augsburg 6-5
HOW IT HAPPENED
- A double by senior Brad Jacob (Raymond, Wis.) started the bottom of the seventh in game two for the Falcons and that was followed by a single off the bat of pinch hitter Kyle Hilliard (Oak Forest, Ill.). Junior Matt Schubert (West Bend, Wis.) then drove in sophomore Anthony Lombardi (Kildeer, Ill.), who was pinch running for Jacob, on an RBI fielder's choice.
- Augsburg was able to get the second out of the inning but not before Schubert stole second, setting the stage for Thyssen. The sophomore outfielder delivered, roping a double to leftfield, plating Schubert for the 5-4 win.
- CUW was in position for the win thanks to some strong relief pitching from sophomore Andrew Gibbons (Markesan, Wis.). Gibbons tossed 3.1 innings of scoreless relief. It was senior Nate Van Ells (Greendale, Wis.) who got the win, as he came on for the final out of the sixth inning with runners on first and second.
- Senior Tanner Seitzinger (Bridgeport, Ill.) started the game for the Falcons and pitched 3.1 innings. He surrendered four runs and struck out one.
- Schubert, Thyssen and Jacob paced CUW with two hits, Jacob collecting two doubles. CUW scored its first three runs in the second inning, taking a 3-1 lead at the time. Jacob had an RBI double in the frame, while Schubert added an RBI single.
- In the opener, Augsburg hit its way to a 10-3 win. The Auggies collected 15 hits led by a 4-for-4 performance by cleanup hitter Josh Marlowe. Augsburg hit a pair of home runs and added four triples in the win.
- CUW got two hits each from Thyssen, junior Bryan Thomas (Lowell, Ind.) and sophomore Dan Ranieri (Loves Park, Ill.) in the opener. Thyssen homered for the Falcons in the fifth, while Thomas roped a two-RBI double in the first.
- The Falcons will play again Friday, taking on Cal Lutheran in a single game. First pitch is set for 5 pm (PST).