Skip to navigation Skip to content

Baseball stays even in NACC play with split against Rockford

Photo by Jordan Vredeveld
Photo by Jordan Vredeveld

MEQUON, Wis. – After seeing a one-run lead vanish in the eighth inning of game one, the Concordia University Wisconsin Baseball team knew it needed to rebound in game two of a NACC doubleheader against Rockford University Saturday at Kapco Park. The Falcons did just that in securing a 6-4 game two win and earning the split against the Regents. Rockford took game one by a 4-2 score.

Game two saw the combination of freshman Carter Buuck and junior Tyler Gross combine on a strong pitching effort. Buuck (Hillsboro, Ore.), who had been battling an illness all week, threw five innings and struck out eight batters, while allowing two earned runs in moving his record to 3-1 on the season. Gross (Wauwatosa, Wis.) pitched the final four innings to earn his second save of the season. He scattered six hits and gave up one earned run, while punching out five batters.

The Falcons jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the second game on an RBI single from senior Brandon Seifert (Germantown, Wis.) in the first inning. Seifert drove in freshman Michael Szeszol (Lake Bluff, Ill.), who did another outstanding job from the leadoff in scoring a game-high three runs.

CUW (11-13, 5-5 NACC) would go up 3-0 in the fourth inning with a pair of runs. Sophomore Isaac Tewes (Chaska, Minn.) doubled in Seifert to make the score 2-0 and then scored on a balk later in the inning for the 3-0 count.

Rockford (11-12, 4-6 NACC) would cut into the Falcons lead in the fifth with a pair of runs on RBI from Robert Smith and Cole Logemann. Logemann finished the game with two RBI for Rockford, while Evan Frantini had a team-best two hits, including a double.

The Falcons would extend their lead with a run each in the fifth and sixth innings, while adding one more in the eighth to take a 6-2 lead into the ninth. Freshman Kyle Hilliard (Oak Forest, Ill.) drove in senior Joel Sharon (Milwaukee, Wis.) in the fifth, while Szeszol scored all the way from first on a failed pickoff attempt throw, which was tossed into rightfield, to make the score 5-2.

CUW would gain another run in the eighth when Rockford again threw the ball around, allowing Szeszol to score. Sharon was on first and left early, trying to get in a rundown to bring home Szeszol. When Rockford tried to throw home to get the out, the ball was airmailed, making the score 6-2. The Regents would threaten in the ninth, but could only push across two runs for the 6-4 final.

Sharon finished with a team-best two hits in the second game for the Falcons, while Tewes had the team's only extra base hit, his double in the fourth inning.

The opener saw Rockford score three times in the eighth inning, erasing a 2-1 deficit for a 4-2 win. The loss for the Falcons came despite an outstanding effort by sophomore Dylan Gausman (Eagan, Minn.) on the mound. Gausman threw seven innings and left with the lead, allowing one earned run and striking out three.

Senior Michael Winter (Cedarburg, Wis.) took the loss after allowing two runs, one earned in a relief appearance. Sophomore Andrew Heideman (Bakersfield, Calif.) and freshman Joey Schuman (New Lenox, Ill.) also pitched in game one for the Falcons.

Szeszol and Tewes each had two hits for the Falcons in the opener, while Tewes and freshman Nathan Thyssen (Appleton, Wis.) each drove in runs in the game.

Michael Murray moved his record to 6-0 for Rockford in the opener after throwing 7.1 innings and allowing just one earned run. He struck out five and walked two in the win.

The Falcons will return to action tomorrow with a NACC doubleheader against MSOE. First pitch is scheduled for noon in Franklin, Wis.