MEQUON, Wis. – The Concordia University Wisconsin ACHA Men's Hockey team produced a strong third period to sweep UW-Superior. Senior Anthony Pickering (Sylvan Lake, Alberta) lead the Falcons with two goals and three assists on the day, along with senior Cole Anderson (Glen Ellyn, Ill.) who finished the day with one goal and four assists.
Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 12, UW- Superior 5
Location: Ozaukee Ice Center- Mequon, Wisconsin
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 6-8; UW-Superior 1-13
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Concordia Wisconsin started the day off with a blazing start recording three goals with the first goal coming only 2:02 into the first period by the way of Pickering who made a couple of nice moves to get by multiple defenders and fired one past the goalie. Following short after was the Falcons second goal by freshman Justin Barney (Key West, Fla.) who got a perfect lead pass from senior Shelby McPhail (Port Washington, Wis.) that Barney finished beating the goalie to make the score 2-0 in the first period.
- After another goal from the Falcons the Yellow Jackets responded with two quick goals in the 13th and 14th minutes to bring the score to 3-2 in favor of the Falcons to end the first period. The tide turned after the break as UW-Superior an opening goal 4:23 into the second period, tying up the contest at three. The hosts answered with a goal, but the Yellow Jackets came right back with two straight goals to take a one goal lead 4-3. Fortunately for Concordia Wisconsin sophomore Skylar Petrik (Sidney, Mont.) scored a goal in the 14th minute to tie up the game once again going into the deciding period tied 5-5.
- The third period was an entertaining one if you were a Falcons fan, as they scored seven goals with three coming within three minutes of each other. CUW ended up with 23 shots on goal in the last period and closed out the victory to capture the sweep with a final of 12-5.
- Sophomore Jonathon Grodzki (Tampa Bay, Fla.) scored two goals and Barney finished with one goal and two assists on the day.
- The Falcons will take the Ice next Friday and Saturday to face Aurora with Friday being at home and Saturday being at Aurora. Friday will start at 8:00 pm and Saturday will start at 4:30 pm.