MEQUON, Wis. – The fall athletics season is in full swing and the upcoming weekend will be full of events for Concordia University Wisconsin athletics. Nine teams are in action from Friday through Sunday, with five of those squads competing at home on the campus of CUW.
Who's competing this weekend?
- As mentioned above nine teams will be in action this weekend. Men's and Women's Golf kick the weekend off by playing in the Pilot Invitational in South Bend, Ind. Friday and Saturday. Volleyball will take to the court Friday and Saturday, playing at the UW-Oshkosh Pizza Hut Classic.
- On Saturday a full slate of games, meets and events will be happening as all nine teams will be competing. Football will host Augsburg in its home opener, while the Men's and Women's Cross Country team will host the Falcon Invitational. Women's Soccer is at home against UW-Stout and Men's Soccer begins a two-match trip to face a pair of Midwest Conference schools. Men's and Women's Golf and Volleyball will also wrap up competition at their respective events on Saturday.
- Also on Saturday will be a Tennis Court Dedication before the CUW Women's Tennis team plays its home opener at 10 a.m. The dedication is scheduled for 9:45 a.m. as the match will be the first on the newly built tennis courts on the campus of CUW.Men's Soccer will close the weekend for Falcons athletics with a Sunday contest against Knox College.
Numbers to know
- 2 – New records could be set all over the place in the Football contest on Saturday as senior Garrett Wenzelburger has a chance to become the conference and school leader in receptions. Wenzelburger enters the game needing two catches to become the all-time leader in the NACC and five to set the CUW record.
- 5 – The Falcons Men's Cross Country team had the top five runners in their season-opening dual against Maranatha Baptist University. CUW was paced by freshman Tanner Rutkowski as he won the two-mile race in a time of 10:32.6.
- 5 – The Volleyball team is off to a fast start with a 5-0 record over its first two weekends of play. The last time CUW won five straight matches was in the 2010 season when the Falcons rallied off 14 straight matches. The last time the Falcons started 5-0 was in 2007 as they began that season with a 6-0 mark.
- 6 – The number of tennis courts on the campus of CUW. The Falcons Men's and Women's Tennis teams will no longer have to travel for home matches to various courts around the area.
- 12:26.1 – Freshman Bethany Coop ran a 12:26.1 in the two-mile dual meet against Maranatha Baptist University. Coop finished in first place as the Falcons placed five in the top six against the Sabercats.
- 18 – The CUW Women's Soccer team has shown its offensive firepower over its last two matches, winning by scores of 4-0 and 5-0. The Falcons have scored four or more goals 18 times over the past two-plus seasons and to no surprise, are 18-0-0 in those contests.
- 18 – Senior Diego Campos enters the weekend with 18 career assists. Campos is tied for 14th all-time in the NACC and is two shy of moving into the top 10. When he gets his 20th assist he would tie former Falcons Kyle Sytsma (2009-12) and Mike Bruckner (2006-07). Bruckner played his first two seasons in the Lake Michigan Conference.
- 34 – Women's Golf opened its season at the Marian University Fall Invite last Saturday and Monday. The Falcons won by 34 strokes over host Marian Univeristy. Junior Nina Puch and sophomore Bridget Slater led the way by shooting a 188 and 189, respectively, over the two-round event.
- 44 – Senior quarterback Austin Damaschke enters Saturday's contest against Augsburg just 44 yards away from becoming the NACC's all-time leader in passing yards. Damaschke already holds NACC records for total offense, passing completions and pass attempts.
- 158 – Two players on the Men's Golf team fired a two-round score of 158 to pace CUW at the season-opening Marian University Fall Invite. The Falcons placed second in the nine-team event and were led by junior Bill Jones and sophomore Evan Rabas
- 304 – Last season 304 competitors competed at the Falcon Invitational. There were 147 in the men's race and 157 in the women's.
- Fans can continue to follow CUWFalcons.com for box scores and recaps from all the events this weekend.
- The best way to stay up-to-date on game day is to follow the CUW Athletics Twitter account (@CUWFalcons). Also make sure to follow the Instagram (CUWFalcons) for pictures from the weekend.