APPLETON, Wis. – Junior Ashley Scheele ran to a first-place finish in leading the Concordia University Wisconsin Women's Cross Country team to a second-place showing at the Gene Davis Invitational Saturday. Scheele completed the 6K course in 23:56, topping the 58-competitor field in the process.
- Falcons score: Second place, 56 points (Scheele – 2, Sprotte – 9, Kieselhorst – 12, Agnello – 16, Barrow – 18).
- Location: Reid Municipal Golf Course – Appleton, Wis. (hosted by Lawrence University)
- Team champion: Lawrence – 27 points.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Scheele (Kohler, Wis.) became the second Falcon to win a race this season, joining teammate Marya Haegler (West Bend, Wis.). Scheele posted a time of 23:56, five seconds ahead of runner-up Claire Brunig from host Lawrence.
- Sophomore Cassandra Sprotte (Abbotsford, Wis.) was the second Falcons runner to cross the finish line as she earned a ninth-place finish. Sprotte navigated through the 6K course in a time of 24:50.
- Freshman Sara Kieselhorst (Waukesha, Wis.) turned in her most impressive 6K of the season, running a season-best 25:07. Kieslehorst was the third Falcons runner to finish and was 12th overall in the race.
- The final two scoring runners for the Falcons Saturday were sophomores Paulina Agnello (Brookfield, Wis.) and Hannah Barrow (Sheboygan, Wis.). They both posted season-best times, as Agnello finished 16th with a time of 25:21, while Barrow posted a 25:28, good for a 18th-place finish.
- Host Lawrence impressed at the meet with all five of its scoring runners coming inside the top 10.
- The Falcons sixth runner on Saturday, freshman Carolyn Arndt (Rochester, Minn.) turned in a very impressive PR. Arndt ran the race in 25:30, about 1:40 faster than her previous best. The next CUW runner, sophomore Martha Kulberg (Maple Grove, Minn.) also turned in a season-best time, running a 25:41.
- A couple other Falcons had strong showings at the Gene Davis Invitational. Freshman Emma Verbeke (Appleton, Wis.) ran her first career collegiate race, which was also in her hometown, and posted a time of 25:46. Senior Hannah Erl (Wauwatosa, Wis.) also ran well, running a PR time of 26:49.
CUW had several others compete on Saturday, here is a list of those runners and times:
- Senior Larissa Schlitz (DeForest, Wis.) – 26:09
- Senior Jessica Rice (Canton, Mich.) – 26:16 (season-best)
- Sophomore Natalie Bubolz (Beaver Dam, Wis.) – 26:20
- Freshman Meaghan Dorsey (Brookfield, Ill.) – 27:17 (season-best)
- Sophomore Emily Ward (Burlington, Wis.) – 27:35 (season-best)
- Sophomore Lauren Dorsey (Green Bay, Wis.) – 27:46
- Sophomore Alyssa Woo (Greenfield, Wis.) – 28:43 (career-best)
- Freshman Leslie Christiansen (Morton Grove, Ill.) – 30:10
- The Falcons will be back in action next weekend when they run at the UW-Oshkosh Invitational. Action from Lake Breeze Golf Course is set to get underway at 11:00 am.