KENOSHA, Wis. – Concordia Wisconsin found itself in a difficult spot, trailing 21-15 late in the first set, but a 10-1 scoring run game them all the momentum going forward. The Falcons would sweep Alma 3-9 (25-22, 25-18, 25-21) for their fifth-straight win.
Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 3, Alma 0 (25-22, 25-18, 25-21)
Location: Tarble Arena (Kenosha, Wis.)
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 9-1, Alma 3-5
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Some teams might pack it in and let the set go when facing a six-point deficit, however, Concordia Wisconsin isn't a normal team. They regrouped during a timeout and put together a noteworthy 10-1 scoring run to win the opening frame and continue that success the rest of the way.
- The Falcons opened the second set with a 12-5 advantage, which featured a pair of kills by junior Amanda Schultz (North Prairie, Wis.) and sophomore Megan Mayer (Downers Grove, Ill.). They would go on to win 25-18 and extend their lead to 2-0 in the match.
- The final set had Alma giving Concordia Wisconsin more of a challenge, leading 18-17, but again the Falcons put together another impressive scoring run – this it was an 8-3 difference. Strong finishes allowed them to win for the fifth-consecutive time.
- Sophomore Kelsey Kleba (Hartland, Wis.) posted a career-high 11 kills and a .391 attack percentage (11K-2E-23A). She also added two service aces.
- Junior Mackenzie Wockenfus (Appleton, Wis.) recorded her first double-double of the season with 20 assists and 10 digs, which was also the third of her career. Junior Haley Sedo (Neenah, Wis.) had 15 assists of her own.
- Senior Lindsey Casper (Hubertus, Wis.) dug a season-best 22 attack attempts.
- Senior Kaily (Moegenburg) Erdman tallied eight kills, two service aces, 15 digs and two block assists.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- All but one of the Falcons nine victories have come via a 3-0 decision.
- Concordia Wisconsin limited its seventh opponent to an attack percentage below .100, as Alma had a .029 percentage (28K-24E-138A).
- Georgia Miller led the Scots with eight kills and the setting duo of Haley Novak and Dakota Pelach combined for 23 assists.
- Pelach also had a team-high 19 digs to lead four players with double-figure digs.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- The Falcons will compete against St. Norbert and host Carthage on 12 and 4 pm on Saturday inside Tarble Arena.