Click here to view photos from the Aug. 18 morning practice.
MEQUON, Wis. – Concordia University Wisconsin's Volleyball program is working hard twice a day preparing for a successful 2014 campaign, which begins in just under two weeks. Second-year head coach Janelle Gabrielsen-Katz has high expectations for the upcoming season.
Gabrielsen-Katz's inaugural season as the Falcon mentor saw the program finish 14-19 overall and 6-5 in Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference play, good for a fifth place finish last year. On the court, a group of five seniors has helped the team improve by eight victories over their three years and hope to get even better in 2014.
Some thoughts on the Falcons' second practice of the season:
- It was the Falcons second practice of training camp and the second of four scheduled two-a-days before school begins on Aug. 25. They began training camp on Saturday, Aug. 16 and will continue until Aug. 22 before the University's move-in and orientation activities begin.
- Senior Britta Duchow (Potter, Wis.) is one of the team's captains, with the remaining two to be selected later in the week. Last season, the middle blocker was also chosen as a team leader.
- The Monday morning training camp session lasted two hours and 10 minutes, and the primary focus was defense. All but 30 minutes of the practice were devoted to fundamentals and technique on the defensive side of the ball.
- An area of emphasis throughout practice was communication. Gabrielsen-Katz kept stressing the importance of making sure everyone on the court, including those waiting to enter the drill, were all on the same page.
- During the 6-on-6 drills, the upperclassmen and newcomers rotated together throughout the drills. In all, there were 31 players during Monday morning's practice.