Madison, Wis. -- Concordia Wisconsin came away with two road NACC victories on Saturday, as they battled Edgewood and pulled out a close 5-4 victory. The Falcons later traveled to Marian for the second matchup of the day where they came out on top with a result of 9-0.
Final Scores: Concordia Wisconsin 5, Edgewood 4; Concordia Wisconsin 9, Marian 0
Location: Madison, Wis.; Fond Du Lac, Wis.
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 6-0 (5-0 NACC), Edgewood 7-5 (6-1 NACC), Marian 4-4 (NACC 3-3)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Saturday started with a tough road matchup with Edgewood and the Falcons showed great resiliency throughout the match. Edgewood got a quick two points during doubles play, as the Eagles took the first two matches 8-2 and 8-6. The Falcons bounced back with a nice 9-7 doubles victory by the way of junior Ashley Solberg (Waukesha, Wis.) and junior Bailey Kelly (Racine, Wis.), as they brought the score to 2-1 heading into singles play.
- CUW fell behind by three points after the first singles match ended making the score 4-1. The Falcons then rattled off four straight wins thanks to a couple of strong scores from Solberg who won 6-1, 6-3 and Kelly who won to the tune of 6-1, 6-2. Senior Elizabeth Carroll (Hartford, Wis.) gave the Falcons their fourth point on the scoreboard after winning 6-4, 6-2. Sophomore Emma Sievers (Slinger, Wis.) got the final and last needed match win for the Falcons with a score of 6-4 in both sets.
- The day was not done for Concordia Wisconsin, as they arrived in Fond Du Lac, Wis., to take on Marian. It was a close 9-8 doubles win from the pair of seniors Sabine Jacobsen (Palatine, Ill.) and Hannah Tresedder (Kingsford, Mich.), which gave the Falcons momentum going into singles play.
- Concordia Wisconsin had a strong performance in singles play from sophomore Rebekah Spiegelhoff (Mount Pleasant, Wis.) who started off with a great 6-3, 6-1 win. The Falcons later got match wins from Carroll and Sievers, who both finished with results of 6-1, 6-1, respectively.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The Falcons have now taken a 9-8 series lead over Edgewood. CUW has won five straight against the Eagles after not being able to get a victory in the previous six contests.
- Concordia Wisconsin has now extended their regular season conference winning streak to 24 matches and are 6-0 overall this season.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- Concordia Wisconsin will travel to St. Peter, Minn., to compete in the ITA Regional Championship for a two-day tournament starting on Friday, September 22.