Women's Tennis advances past Aurora into NAC Tournament
MEQUON, Wis. – Concordia University Wisconsin swept all three doubles matches to cruise to a 5-0 victory over No. 6-seeded Aurora University in a first round Northern Athletics Conference Tournament contest at North Shore Country Club.
With the win, the No. 3 Falcons advance to Saturday's NAC Tournament semifinal match against No. 2-seeded Wisconsin Lutheran College at Kohler Sports Core in Kohler, Wis., at 10:30 a.m. The Warriors won a late Sept. match by a 5-4 decision in Milwaukee.
The doubles combinations of seniors Julie Spransy (Brown Deer, Wis.) and Jaclyn Ward (Franklin, Wis.), along with sophomore Emily McCormick (Waukesha, Wis.) and freshman Amanda Ropiak (Franklin, Wis.) each defeated their respective opponents 8-2 to get the Falcons started.
After leading 3-0 and needing just five points to win, CUW received straight set wins in singles play by Spransy and Ward for the shutout. Spransy shutdown her No. 1 singles competitor 6-0, 6-0. Ward defeated her No. 2 opponent by a 6-4, 6-2 result.
04/29/13 at Mequon, Wis. (North Shore Country Club)
1. Spransy, Julie (CUW) def. Savellano, Christy (AU) 6-0, 6-0
2. Ward, Jaclyn (CUW) def. Madison, Chloe (AU) 6-4, 6-2
3. Reinke, Callie (CUW) vs. Jansen, Natalie (AU) 6-3, 2-1, unfinished
4. McCormick, Emily (CUW) vs. LaVoy, Taylor (AU) unfinished
5. Knoll, Ashley (CUW) vs. Kuntzi, Emily (AU) unfinished
6. Ropiak, Amanda (CUW) vs. Hankes, Jordan (AU) 6-4, unfinished
1. Spransy, Julie/Ward, Jaclyn (CUW) def. Madison, Chloe/Savellano, Christy (AU) 8-2
2. Reinke, Callie/Knoll, Ashley (CUW) def. Jansen, Natalie/LaVoy, Taylor (AU) 8-6
3. McCormick, Emily/Ropiak, Amanda (CUW) def. Kuntzi, Emily/Pacheco, Andrea (AU) 8-2
Concordia Wisconsin 11-11