September 7, 2012
Court Side Notes: NAC regular season title on the line?
CUW HAS SHARED THE LAST THREE NAC REGULAR SEASON TITLE WITH EDGEWOOD
- When it comes to Northern Athletics Conference women's tennis, two schools come to mind; Concordia University Wisconsin and Edgewood College. The two dominating teams have tied or won the outright NAC regular season title all six years of existence.
- The Falcons and Eagles have had many exciting battles during the past few years, including a thrilling 5-4 win for CUW in 2009. However, the last two years each team has won by a lopsided margin. EC won 7-2 in 2010 before CUW returned the favor with a 9-0 shutout victory in 2011.
NEW LINEUPS FOR CUW LEADING TO VICTORIES
- It was not uncommon to see a new lineup every now and then for the Falcons during the 2011 season. The bottom of the lineup saw six players compete at No. 4 singles and five at No. 5 singles. This season has been a different story early on, as the lineup has not changed once in singles play.
- Last year's No. 1 singles player for the Falcons has left the program, but that has not slowed them down one bit. Senior Julie Spransy (Brown Deer, Wis.) slid into the top spot and won her last two matches convincingly.
- Winning the first set has been an important factor in the Falcons' three victories this season. They have yet to lose an opening set in singles play. Just three times CUW has gone past the standard six points needed to win the set.
ROAD TRIPS ON THE HORIZON
- CUW will conclue a comfortable five-match homestand to begin the 2012 season on Saturday. It will then pack its bags for five of the last six matches this season.
- The Falcons remaining home match is on Wednesday, Sept. 19 when it hosts MSOE at 4 p.m. at North Shore Country Club, weather permitting.