MADISON – Senior Carley Pfannerstill scored in the 71st minute, helping the Concordia University Wisconsin Women's Soccer team post its seventh straight victory, 1-0 over Edgewood College on Saturday afternoon. The Falcons improved to a perfect 5-0-0 in NACC play with the win.
Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 1, Edgewood 0
Location: Breese Stevens Field – Madison, Wis.
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 9-1-2, 5-0-0 NACC; Edgewood 6-6-0, 3-3-0 NACC
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Just like the men's match which happened before this contest, neither team could get on the scoreboard at the start. The Falcons had all eight shots in the first half, and actually finished with all 22 shots in the match, controlling possession throughout.
- Pfannerstill (Grafton, Wis.) finally got the Falcons on the board in the 71st minute with her ninth goal of the season. She took a pass from freshman Kayla Schlosser (Germantown, Wis.) and fired it inside the left post for the 1-0 advantage.
- Junior Ariana Worthing (Saginaw, Mich.) picked up the win and the shutout despite not facing a shot during the entire match. Worthing improved to 5-1-1 for the year and has now won 20 matches in her career.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Pfannerstill now ranks fourth in the NACC with nine goals and third in the conference with 26 points. She now has 48 career goals and has a very good chance of reaching the 50-goal plateau in the Falcons next match, Wednesday at Alverno.
- The shutout was the fifth of the season for CUW, and fourth in NACC play. CUW has shut its opponent out in four of five NACC matches and given up just one goal in five league contests thus far.
- Schlosser has been on quite the streak lately, recording a point in six of her last seven matches. She now has six goals and five assists this season.
- The win was the seventh straight for the Falcons, which ties a program record under head coach Ryan Middendorf. CUW also won seven straight last season.
- The win was also the 150th of Middendorf's career. The all-time winningest coach in school history, Middendorf owns a 150-94-12 overall record. He has guided his team to double-digit win totals in 11 of his first 12 seasons, with the Falcons also a near lock to reach 10-plus wins in 2015 as well.
- The Falcons were ranked eighth in the latest NSCAA Central Region poll. A pair of wins this past week, and seven straight should keep the Falcons on the rise in the region.
- Edgewood goalkeeper Sabelle Seabrook played well in defeat. She posted seven saves in the match, keeping the Eagles close throughout.
- The Falcons will visit Alverno for a NACC matchup Wednesday. Kickoff from Milwaukee is set for 3:30 p.m.