Click here for photos from the Aug. 19 afternoon practice session.
MEQUON, Wis. – The Concordia University Wisconsin Women's Soccer team continued its training camp on Tuesday with another two-a-day session. After a captain's practice over the weekend, the Falcons have had two practices each the last two days as they gear up for the 2014 season.
Head coach Ryan Middendorf welcomes back a lot of returning players from last year's 10-8-1 squad. The Falcons lost just two seniors and also had just three juniors on last year's squad.
During Tuesday's two hour sessions the Falcons spent much of practice going over defensive formations and rotations on the pitch. Coach Middendorf explained the team's philosophy and provided a walk through before having the players run a scrimmage type to make sure players were in the correct positions.
Here are a few notes from Tuesday's practices as well as some things to consider heading into this season:
- CUW will be paced by a trio of juniors in Carley Pfannerstill, Emily Ciesielczyk and Brittany Klumpp. The three assumed their roles as forwards at Tuesday's practice and all three have shown the ability to put points on the board over the past two seasons.
- Anna Hirssig is one of the juniors from last season and she can be expected to have a big senior season. Hirssig broke through last year with 31 points, tying for fourth in the conference with four goals.
- Defense was a primary focus at practice on Tuesday as the Falcons look to improve from last year. CUW scored 50 goals, but allowed 34, including giving up three or more goals eight times in 2013.
- Several newcomers seemed to pick up things quickly at Tuesday's practice and those players should help the Falcons boast a deep lineup in 2014.
- While CUW has several key juniors and seniors it will have several talented young players this season. The Falcons had four players earn All-NACC Freshman honors a season ago.