MEQUON, Wis. -- Carthage ran away with the non-conference game on Saturday afternoon after putting together a 7-2 scoring run to defeat Concordia Wisconsin 18-14 during a high-scoring contest in the non-conference matchup at Fitting Field.
Final Score: Carthage 18, Concordia Wisconsin 14
Location: Fitting Field (Mequon, Wis.)
Records: Carthage 5-3, Concordia Wisconsin 1-3
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Falcons went back and forth with the Lady Reds and found themselves ahead with a one-goal lead with 28:41 left in the second half. That lead was short-lived, as Carthage's Jessie Gibson responded with three goals in a row of her five in the contest to give the visitors a lead they would not relinquish.
- Carthage would use a 7-2 scoring run over the final 27 minutes of the game to win the non-conference matchup and outshot Concordia Wisconsin 22-12 in the second half of play.
- There were five lead changes and four scoring ties in the high-scoring contest.
- Concordia was led by junior Lauren Paquin (Waukesha, Wis.) and freshman Ciara Bond (White Bear Lake, Minn.) who tallied four goals apiece. Paquin also paced the team with seven ground balls. Senior Allison Kurek (Chicago, Ill.) continued her all-around contributions with three goals, three assists and five draw controls. The scoring for the Falcons was rounded out by freshman Kat Oryszczyn (Mukwonago, Wis.) and her three tallies on the afternoon. Sophomore goalkeeper Kennedy Boyer (Saline, Mich.) faced 29 shots and made 11 saves.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Kurek became the program's all-time leader in points with 212 (163G, 49A) to surpass Sammi Reither (2012-15) who had 210 (166G, 44A).
- Jessie Gibson had five goals to lead a Carthage attack that saw seven different players in the scoring column. Often assisting on those goals were Megan McNamara and Rachel Mussell, with three and two assists, respectively.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- Up next for the Falcons is a Wednesday matchup at 4 pm on Fitting Field versus Beloit in the MWLC opener.
April 21, 2018 Women's Lacrosse secures victory over Monmouth
April 19, 2018 Women's Lacrosse falls to Illinois Wesleyan
April 17, 2018 Preview: Women's Lacrosse vs. Illinois Wesleyan
April 11, 2018 Women’s Lacrosse routes Benedictine
April 10, 2018 Paquin earns MWLC Defensive Player of the Week honors
April 8, 2018 Women's Lacrosse soars past Loras
April 7, 2018 Falcons come from behind for OT victory
April 4, 2018 Women's Lacrosse edges out Aurora
April 3, 2018 Preview: Women's Lacrosse vs. Aurora
March 30, 2018 Rally falls short for Women’s Lacrosse
March 27, 2018 Strong start powers Falcons past IIT
March 24, 2018 Scoring runs push Women’s Lacrosse to MWLC victory
March 22, 2018 Winning is more important than statistics
March 20, 2018 Preview: Women's Lacrosse begins MWLC play
March 20, 2018 Paquin, Kurek named MWLC Players of the Week
March 17, 2018 Falcons can't slow Lady Reds in second half
March 16, 2018 Preview: Women's Lacrosse hosts Carthage in first home game
March 15, 2018 Sewanee overwhelms Women’s Lacrosse
March 13, 2018 Paquin, Bond lead Women’s Lacrosse in victory
March 10, 2018 Cardinals use free-position goals to down Falcons
March 7, 2018 Women's Lacrosse season opener at Dubuque canceled
January 29, 2018 Women's Lacrosse picked second in MWLC preseason poll
December 19, 2017 Help lacrosse, soccer programs raise money for press box