MEQUON, Wis. – Lauren Paquin put on a show Tuesday afternoon with a seven-goal performance to lead Concordia Wisconsin to a 17-11 victory over Illinois Institute of Technology. The Falcons scored four of the last five goals to separate themselves during the Midwest Women's Lacrosse Conference contest.
Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 17, Illinois Institute of Technology 11
Location: Fitting Field (Mequon, Wis.)
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 2-0 (2-0 MWLC), Illinois Institute of Technology 1-1 (1-1 MWLC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- CUW charged out the gate, building a quick 6-1 lead during the first 10:18 of the game behind a trio of Paquin goals. As well, Sabrina Boehlke assisted on three goals during the scoring outburst.
- The Scarlet Hawks stayed with the Falcons over the next 43 minutes of action before the hosts tallied four of the last five goals, including three within a two minute span.
- The Falcons ended with a commanding 25-14 difference in shots on goal, but did turn the ball over 23 times. They also finished with a 19-10 lead in draw control wins.
- Boehlke (senior, Random Lake, Wis.) ended the victory with three goals and four assists (career-high seven points), to go along with a career-best eight draw control wins.
- Kurek (sophomore, Chicago, Ill.) tallied five goals and an assist, while also picking up six ground balls, winning six draw controls and causing six turnovers.
- Sophomore Caitlin Henry (Lansing, Ill.) scored twice and assist on a score, while also winning a career-high four draw controls for the Falcons.
- Junior Veronika Metanova (Palatine, Ill.) and senior Nina Puch (Des Plaines, Ill.) split halves in net, with Metanova making two saves and Puch stopping a shot.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Paquin's seven goals were tied for the third most in a game in program history and was one goal shy of tying the program record set twice by Sammi Reiter.
- Boehlke's four assists were tied for the fifth most in a game in program history, while her eight draw control wins were tied for seventh.
- Freshman Kristen Kennedy (London, Ontario) assisted on her first career score which was the last of the game.
- CUW won its first two games of the season for just the second time. The 2014 team started the season 4-0.
- Alyssa DeLuca and Isabella Ruben each had a hat trick for the Scarlet Hawks, while Madison Meredith and Isabel Fitzpatrick-Meyers recorded two goals each.
- Meredith picked up a team-high five goals, while DeLuca and Cassandra Reineke each won three draw controls.
- Abbie Reynolds played 50 minutes in goal and made six saves.
- The Scarlet Hawks finished 3-of-4 on free-positions shots.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- The Falcons return to action on Saturday for a 3 pm non-conference matchup with North Central.