MEQUON, Wis. – The first half wasn't pretty, but a momentum-shifting six-minute stretch in the third quarter is what Concordia Wisconsin needed to grind out a 53-51 victory over Lakeland in NACC play on Saturday afternoon.
Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 53, Lakeland 51
Location: R. John Buuck Field House (Mequon, Wis.)
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 11-4, 8-2 NACC; Lakeland 8-7, 5-5 NACC
QUOTING AUDREY SCHARMER, BRIANNA WAGNER
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Sometimes it takes a few words of encouragement or an outstanding play to get a team going and Concordia Wisconsin received that with six minutes to play in the third quarter. After shooting just 21 percent in the first half and trailing by 12 with 6:08 left in the third quarter, head coach Stacey Brunner-Jones took a 30-second timeout.
- After some game planning and energy, the Falcons responded by going on a 15-2 scoring run to take a 40-39 lead with a quarter to play. It was a scoring run they needed, as they held on to a slim single-digit lead the rest of the way to win inside the R. John Buuck Field House.
- Concordia Wisconsin struggled from the field all game, except in the third quarter, and ended at 28.1 percent for the game, but turned the ball over just nine times. They did force 16 Muskie errors and capitalized those into 16 points.
- Senior Audrey Scharmer (Winona, Minn.) ended with her eighth double-double of the season – 10 points and 14 rebounds. Senior Brianna Wagner (Fond du Lac, Wis.) had 16 points and eight rebounds, while freshman Clara Chambers (Mineral Point, Wis.) added 13 points.
- Sophomore Ashley Solberg (Waukesha, Wis.) helped out with five points and six rebounds off the bench.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The Falcons continue their strong play on Saturdays this season, winning all seven games that end the week.
- Scharmer improves her career double-double count to 21 and is now five away from becoming the program's leader (double-doubles records are kept from 2001-02 to present). She has recorded a double-double in three-straight games and six of the last eight contests.
- Concordia Wisconsin recorded 10 steals, with three players getting at least two.
- Rachel Stankevich did it all for the Muskies with 14 points, 11 rebounds, four assists, a block and steal.
- Maddy Doll added eight points, eight rebounds and a game-high four blocks.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- Concordia Wisconsin hosts MSOE on Tuesday at 7 pm in a NACC tilt inside the R. John Buuck Field House.
February 21, 2018 Scharmer, Wagner named All-NACC First Team
February 20, 2018 Wagner tagged with NACC Player of the Week honors
February 17, 2018 Scharmer, Wagner lead Women’s Basketball to victory
February 13, 2018 Around the arc: Women's Basketball hosts Rockford on Tuesday
February 13, 2018 Wagner named NACC Player of the Week
February 13, 2018 Falcons blow past Regents
February 10, 2018 Wagner reaches 1,000 in road victory
February 7, 2018 Falcons use 3-point shot to fly past Eagles
February 6, 2018 Around the arc: Falcons host Eagles in important matchup
February 3, 2018 Women’s Basketball defeats Alverno in road NACC game
January 30, 2018 Scharmer named NACC Player of the Week, D3Hoops.com Team of the Week
January 30, 2018 Strong 2nd quarter gives Falcons home NACC victory
January 29, 2018 Around the arc: Women's Basketball prepared for Marian
January 27, 2018 Cardinals pull away from Falcons at CIT
January 26, 2018 Scharmer has 24 points, 21 rebounds in career game at CIT
January 24, 2018 Scharmer scores 25 in Women’s Basketball victory
January 20, 2018 Turnovers crucial in NACC loss for Women's Basketball
January 16, 2018 Defensive second quarter leads Falcons past Raiders
January 15, 2018 Around the arc: Women's Basketball hosts MSOE on Tuesday
January 13, 2018 Falcons grind out NACC win over Muskies
January 12, 2018 Around the arc: Falcons look to hook Muskies in #NACCtion
January 10, 2018 A student-athlete in the truest sense
January 10, 2018 Offense stalls in Women’s Basketball loss at Benedictine
January 6, 2018 Women's Basketball soars past the Inferno
January 4, 2018 Around the arc: Falcons hosts Inferno in NACC matchup Saturday
January 2, 2018 Warriors take control in second half against Falcons
January 1, 2018 Around the arc: Falcons begin 2018 against Warriors
December 30, 2017 Scharmer grabs 18 rebounds, Falcons put game away in 2nd quarter
December 27, 2017 Wagner captures NACC Player of the Week honors
December 20, 2017 Falcons hold on for seventh straight win at Las Vegas Hoopla
December 19, 2017 Scharmer tabbed as NACC Player of the Week
December 19, 2017 Wagner's career high leads Women's Basketball to Vegas Hoopla win
December 16, 2017 Women’s Basketball controls NACC matchup at Rockford
December 12, 2017 Barker named NACC Player of the Week
December 9, 2017 Women's Basketball dominates paint in victory over Dominican
December 7, 2017 Around the arc: Falcons look to dim Stars in NACC contest
December 5, 2017 Scharmer nets NACC Player of the Week honors
December 5, 2017 Falcons overwhelm Sabres
December 2, 2017 Scharmer records another double-double in win against Edgewood
November 30, 2017 Around the arc: Falcons ready to gain NACC momentum
November 29, 2017 Women’s Basketball earns victory at the free throw line
November 28, 2017 Wagner tabbed NACC Player of the Week
November 27, 2017 Third quarter separates No. 20 UW-Whitewater from Falcons
November 25, 2017 Falcons pull away late for NACC win at Lakeland
November 21, 2017 Wagner nets career-high 26, Hope pulls away late over Falcons
November 20, 2017 Around the arc: Falcons host No. 13 Hope to begin season
November 16, 2017 Women's Basketball season preview: Falcons have high expectations
October 24, 2017 Women’s Basketball picked to defend NACC title
June 21, 2017 Women's Basketball adds Tatum to coaching staff