BELOIT, Wis. - The Concordia University Wisconsin Women's Basketball team forced 25 turnovers and used a strong three-headed post presence in a 69-44 non-conference victory over Beloit College Saturday. Taylor DeLong led the way for the Falcons with a solid all-around game, including a career-best 24 points.
Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 69, Beloit College 44
Location: Flood Arena, Beloit, Wis.
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 2-0, Beloit College 1-1
QUOTING STACEY BRUNNER-JONES
- "Our free throw shooting was great tonight and our ability to force turnovers was crucial. It was nice to get 17 players involved in a winning effort. I thought our posts dominated the game, led by Taylor DeLong who had a solid all-around game."
HOW IT HAPPENED
-The host Buccaneers jumped out to a 6-2 lead in the opening minutes before CUW got a three-point play from Audrey Scharmer and they never looked back. CUW closed the quarter on a 17-2 run to take a 19-8 lead after one quarter of play.
-The Falcons opened up a 14-point lead, but Beloit climbed back within eight just over halfway through the second quarter before the Falcons again closed on an 11-3 run to take a 35-19 lead into the locker room.
- The Falcons continued to pull away in the second half finishing 13-15 from the free throw line.
- Marciarae' Harmon lead the team with a career-high 6 rebounds in the win
- The Falcons had a nice edge in the turnover battle, forcing 25 mistakes for the Buccaneers. CUW committed 16 turnovers in the win.
- Depth also proved to be key for the Falcons on Saturday. The CUW bench outscored Beloit's by a 38-19 margin led by DeLong's 24. She finished the game 9-of-13 from the floor, and a perfect 6-of-6 from the charity stripe. DeLong also had six rebounds, four assists, and three steals.
- Nora Polaski led the way with 11 points and three rebounds
- Jaylan Dunn added seven points and tied for a team-high with four rebounds
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
-The 25 point win is the largest margin of victory since a 29-point win at Rockford on January 17.
-The win is the fourth straight for the Falcons over Beloit. CUW is now 4-1 all-time vs the Buccaneers in the NCAA era
- CUW travels to face Division II Winona State on Tuesday at 7 p.m.