MEQUON, Wis. – Madelyn Landgraf banked in a jumper as time expired and then drained a free throw with no time on the clock to give Concordia Wisconsin a stunning 53-52 victory over Wisconsin Lutheran on Wednesday night. The victory moved the Falcons into sole possession of first place in the NACC standings.
Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 53, Wisconsin Lutheran 52
Location: R. John Buuck Field House (Mequon, Wis.)
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 19-4 (16-2 NACC), Wisconsin Lutheran 16-7 (14-4 NACC)
HOW IT HAPPENEND
- After a jump ball with 1.1 seconds to play in the game, Landgraf cut across the lane and received an inbounds pass from Samantha Blissett. She then banked in a 6-foot jumper and was fouled in the process as the horn sounded. Landgraf calmly knocked down the free throw with no time left on the clock to send Falcons fans inside the R. John Buuck Field House into a frenzy.
- It was a battle between the NACC's top two teams, as Wisconsin Lutheran overcame a 15-point deficit in the first quarter before CUW went on a 10-4 scoring run to close out the game.
- Fouls and free throws were key storylines in the game, as both teams combined for 49 fouls and 38 free throw makes. Wisconsin Lutheran committed 29 fouls and made 18-of-28 free throw attempts, while CUW was whistled for 20 fouls and sank 20-of-28 attempts at the charity line.
- Landgraf (senior, Elkhart Lake, Wis.) had her best game of the season in the biggest moment with 26 points on 9-of-13 shooting, including 8-of-10 at the free throw line.
- Senior Megan Coenen (Green Bay, Wis.) ended with seven points, while junior Taylor DeLong (Milwaukee, Wis.) and sophomore Brianna Wagner (Fond du Lac, Wis.) each had six points. Sophomore Audrey Scharmer (Winona, Minn.) pulled down a team-best eight rebounds.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The victory moved the Falcons into sole possession of first place in the NACC standings and in the driver's seat for the No. 1 seed in the NACC Tournament with three games to play.
- Landgraf's nine field goals made were a career best.
- Wisconsin Lutheran finished with a 46-33 edge in rebounding, which included 16 offensive rebounds for 10 second chance points.
- The Falcons tallied 21 points off 18 Warrior turnovers.
- Jen Dowden ended the contest with a double-double, 19 points and 10 rebounds.
- Wynonah Filla added 14 points and six rebounds off the bench, while Taylor Bahr recorded a game-high 13 rebounds and six steals.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- The Falcons return to the road for a 4:15 pm matchup at Aurora on Saturday.