MEQUON, Wis. – Sophomore Emily Brekke threw the first Concordia University Wisconsin Softball no-hitter since 2013 as the Falcons swept Mount Mary in a non-conference doubleheader Friday. The Falcons shut out the Blue Angels in each game, winning both via the eight-run rule.
- Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 8, Mount Mary 0 (F/6 – Game 1); Concordia Wisconsin 10, Mount Mary 0 (F/5 – Game 2)
- Location: CUW Softball Field – Mequon, Wis.
- Records: CUW 19-13; Mount Mary 5-17
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- Brekke (Waterford, Wis.) tossed the first no-hitter for the Falcons since Jamie Schuh did so in April of 2013. Brekke allowed just one runner to reach, a walk in the second, while striking out six in her first career no-hitter. She picked up her sixth win of the season in the process.
- The Falcons offense helped Brekke with three big innings. CUW scored three in the first, four in the third and three more in the fourth for the 10-run five-inning win. Junior Carly Sobrilsky (Brookfield, Wis.) was 2-for-2 with two RBI, while freshman Sara Rosenow (Kimberly, Wis.) added a two-run double for the Falcons.
- Sophomore Deidra Weinberger (Mayville, Wis.) continued her impressive run at the dish for CUW, collecting two hits and scoring twice in game two. All together the Falcons totaled 11 hits, with leadoff hitter sophomore Christine Sharon (Cornell, Mich.) adding two hits in the nightcap.
- Sophomore Alison Peters (Elk Grove, Ill.) added a two-RBI single for the Falcons, while senior Melissa Perkins, sophomore Lauren Sulikowski (Orland Park, Ill.) and freshman Courtney Kinney (New Lenox, Ill.) all drove in runs.
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- Perkins (Park Forest, Ill.) also impressed in the circle for CUW, throwing a six-inning two-hit shutout for her 12th win of the season. She struck out seven, while not issuing any free passes.
- The Falcons and Blue Angels were tied 0-0 before the home team erupted for seven runs in the fifth inning. CUW would add a run in the sixth on a walkoff double by Rosenow, ending the game via the eight-run rule.
- Weinberger was zoned in for CUW, going 4-for-4 with two doubles, an RBI and a run scored. The Falcons totaled six doubles in the game, including four straight in the fifth. Sobrilsky, Sharon, sophomore Jamie Reiser (Ingleside, Ill.) and Rosenow all doubled in the win.
- Peters added a triple for CUW, while Rosenow finished the game 3-for-4 with two RBI. Sharon, Reiser, Peters and freshman Maddie Zazas (Mundelein, Ill.) all drove in runs.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The no-hitter was the last one for CUW since Jamie Schuh did so against Marian on April 4, 2013. Schuh threw five innings, walked three and struck out nine.
- CUW will host Rockford in a NACC doubleheader on Sunday. It will also be Senior and Parents Day at the CUW Softball Field, with first pitch set for noon.