SHEBOYGAN, Wis. – For the second consecutive day the Concordia University Wisconsin Softball team split a NACC doubleheader, this time going 1-1 against Lakeland College Thursday afternoon. The Falcons won the opener 9-3 before falling 10-1 in game two. Much like Wednesday, CUW allowed a big inning in its loss, giving up seven unearned runs to the Muskies in the third of the nightcap.
- Final Scores: Concordia Wisconsin 9, Lakeland 3 (Game 1); Lakeland 10, Concordia Wisconsin 1 (Game 2)
- Location: Muskie Softball Field – Sheboygan, Wis.
- Records: Concordia Wisconsin 12-10, 4-2 NACC; Lakeland 10-12, 2-6 NACC
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- Senior Melissa Perkins (Park Forest, Ill.) went the distance in the opening game for her seventh win of the season. Perkins now has 49 career, as she continues to add to her lead with the most victories of any Falcons pitcher in the NACC era (2007-present). She scattered seven hits and gave up just one earned run.
- The Falcons scored twice in the first, but the Muskies answered in the bottom half, making the score 2-2. From there it was all CUW, scoring twice in the second and five times in the fourth for a 9-2 lead. Lakeland would add one run in the bottom of the seventh.
- Sophomore Deidra Weinberger (Mayville, Wis.) was 2-for-4 with two runs scored and two RBI for the Falcons in the opener. Sophomore Christine Sharon (Cornell, Mich.) and freshman Sara Rosenow (Kimberly, Wis.) each drove in a pair of runs as well for CUW.
- The Falcons pounded out 14 hits in the opener, including four doubles. Rosenow, junior Lexi Holsten (Oshkosh, Wis.) and freshmen Kendra Little (Hudson, Wis.) and Delaney O'Keefe (Muskego, Wis.) each doubled in the six-run win. Rosenow's two-RBI double helped break the game open in the five-run fourth for the Falcons.
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- CUW fell victim to a seven-run third inning for the Muskies in game two, all seven runs being unearned. The Falcons committed five errors in the nightcap, two of those in the seven-run frame. Lakeland would go on to add three runs in the fourth as the game ended after five due to the eight-run rule.
- Sophomore Jamie Reiser (Ingleside, Ill.) provided the offense for the Falcons with a solo home run in the top of the third, giving CUW a 1-0 lead at the time. Freshman Maddie Zazas (Mundelein, Ill.) tripled, while Sharon added a double.
- Sophomore Emily Brekke (Waterford, Wis.) took the loss for CUW, despite giving up zero earned runs. Brekke pitched 3.1 innings and struck out four. Little came on for the final two outs in the fourth.
- The Falcons will visit Marian for a NACC doubleheader Saturday. First pitch is set for noon in Fond du Lac.