VALPARAISO, Ind. – The Concordia University Wisconsin Men's Tennis team appears ready for NACC play to begin. The Falcons, who open conference play next week, closed the non-conference portion of its schedule with a 7-2 win over Concordia Ann Arbor Saturday morning. The win was the fourth straight for CUW.
- Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 7, Concordia Ann Arbor 2
- Location: Valparaiso, Indiana
- Records: Concordia Wisconsin 11-5; Concordia Ann Arbor 4-10
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Falcons had the advantage in both doubles and singles play on Saturday. In singles action, CUW took five of six matches, including three by 6-0, 6-0 scores.
- The No. 3 through 5 singles matches were won easily by the Falcons, all via the 6-0, 6-0 scores. Freshman Gabe Binversie (Plymouth, Wis.) posted that score at No. 3 singles, while junior Brad Guendel (Greendale, Wis.) and freshman Nathan Raskin (Shorewood, Wis.) won 6-0, 6-0 at No. 4 and 5 singles, respectively.
- The No. 2 singles match needed a third-set tiebreaker, but it was junior Ceejay Schaffner (Winona, Minn.) who dominated the tiebreaker to gain the win. Schaffner ended up with a 6-4, 4-6, 1-0 (10-0) result.
- The final singles win of the day for the Falcons came from freshman Anghelo Gangano (Plymouth, Wis.). He posted a 6-1, 7-6 (7-2) score.
- In doubles play, CUW gained wins at the No. 1 and 3 positions. Guendel partnered with junior James Forster (Northbrook, Ill.) for an 8-4 win at No. 1 singles, while Binversie and sophomore Jonah Fowle (Menomonee Falls, Wis.) netted an 8-1 win in the No. 3 doubles matchup.
- The Falcons will play another match today against Prairie State but that match will be counted as an exhibition. CUW opens conference play next Saturday with matches at Dominican and Concordia Chicago. The first of those is set for 10 a.m.