JACKSON, Wis. – The Concordia University Wisconsin Men's Tennis team played at two different sites Saturday and in the end the Falcons had strong results and a school record to show for it. CUW set the single-season wins record after defeating Lakeland (9-0) and UW-Oshkosh, the latter providing the first win in program history over the Titans.
- Final Scores: Concordia Wisconsin 9, Lakeland 0; Concordia Wisconsin 5, UW-Oshkosh 4
- Location: Kohler, Wis. (Lakeland); Pleasant Valley Tennis & Fitness Club – Jackson, Wis. (UWO)
- Records: Concordia Wisconsin 17-7; Lakeland 0-13; UW-Oshkosh 6-12
UW-OSHKOSH MATCH HIGHLIGHTS
- The first win in program history over the Titans was an exciting one, which started with the Falcons taking two of three in doubles play. Among those was a thrilling 9-8 (7-5) win by the No. 2 duo of freshman Christian Docter (Madison, Wis.) and sophomore Ceejay Schaffner (Winona, Minn.).
- Adding a doubles win for the Falcons was the No. 3 team of junior Trevor Budewitz (Watertown, Wis.) and freshman Jonah Fowle (Menomonee Falls, Wis.). They posted an 8-5 win, helping CUW take the 2-1 edge into singles play.
- The clinching win for the Falcons came from senior Benjamin Nommensen (Waupaca, Wis.) at the No. 1 singles match. Nommensen posted a 7-6 (9-7), 6-4 victory with the match all squared at 4-4, helping CUW down the Titans.
- The other two singles wins for CUW were at the No. 2 and 4 positions, respectively. It was Docter at No. 2 singles, winning 6-4, 7-6 (7-4) and sophomore Brad Guendel (Greendale, Wis.) rallying for a 3-6, 7-5, 1-0 (10-2) win in his No. 4 singles match.
LAKELAND MATCH HIGHLIGHTS
- The Falcons dominated the Muskies in a 9-0 victory. CUW opened with three wins in doubles play, two by an 8-0 score and the other an 8-1 effort. The No. 3 pairing of Budewitz and Fowle had one of the 8-0 wins, while the top pairing Nommensen and Guendel also rolled to a 9-0 victory. Schaffner and Docter cruised to an 8-1 decision in No. 2 doubles.
- Singles play was all Falcons as well, all six victories coming in straight sets. Among those was a trio of 6-0, 6-0 wins by Docter (No. 2), Schaffner (No. 3) and Budewitz (No. 4).
- Nommensen posted a 6-0, 6-1 win at No. 1 singles, while junior Jonathan Schotte (Preston, Kan.) picked up a 6-0, 6-2 win at No. 6 singles. The final victory for the Falcons was by senior Robert Spiering (Wauwatosa, Wis.), a 7-5, 6-1 result at No. 5 singles.
- The Falcons will be the No. 2 seed in the NACC Tournament, earning a bye to the semifinals. The semifinals and finals are set for Sunday, May 8 at Nielsen Tennis Stadium in Madison.