MILWAUKEE – Two venues and a lot of great tennis were on display for the Concordia University Wisconsin Men's Tennis team against MSOE Wednesday. With the match tied at 4-4, the Falcons and Raiders needed to move indoors to finish the deciding No. 5 singles contest. There it was junior Trevor Budewitz who gained the deciding point for the Falcons, resulting in a key 5-4 NACC victory.
- Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 5, MSOE 4
- Location: Lake Park Tennis Court and North Shore Elite
- Records: Concordia Wisconsin 12-6, 3-0 NACC; MSOE 5-11, 3-2 NACC
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Falcons and Raiders were tied at 4-4, but Budewitz (Waterford, Wis.) was able to prevail after his match needed to be finished indoors due to lightning. He won a three-set thriller, defeating the Raiders Tyler Haanen 7-6, 4-6, 6-2 to lock up the NACC win for the Falcons.
- CUW was able to gain wins at No. 4 and 6 singles as well, splitting the six singles matches Wednesday. Sophomore Ceejay Schaffner (Winona, Minn.) rolled to a 6-2, 6-2 win at No. 4 singles, while senior Robert Spiering (Wauwatosa, Wis.) picked up a 6-3, 6-2 win in his No. 6 singles match.
- The Falcons won two of three matches in doubles play to start the match against the Raiders. Schaffner and freshman Christian Docter (Madison, Wis.) won their No. 2 doubles match by an 8-5 score.
- The other doubles win came from the top duo of senior Benjamin Nommensen (Waupaca, Wis.) and sophomore Brad Guendel (Greendale, Wis.). The pairing needed a tiebreak to get the win, taking their match 9-8 (7-5).
- The Falcons will play two matches in Aurora, Illinois this weekend. First, CUW will battle Prairie State in non-conference play before taking on Aurora in a NACC battle.
1. Price, John (MSOE) def. Nommensen, Benjamin (CUW) 6-3, 4-6, 6-3
2. Smith, Tom (MSOE) def. Docter, Christian (CUW) 6-2, 7-5
3. Campbell, Austin (MSOE) def. Guendel, Brad (CUW) 6-3, 6-2
4. Schaffner, Ceejay (CUW) def. Runke, Ryan (MSOE) 6-2, 6-2
5. Budewitz, Trevor (CUW) def. Haanen, Tyler (MSOE) 7-6, 4-7, 6-2
6. Spiering, Robert (CUW) def. Fite, Austin (MSOE) 6-3, 6-2
1. Nommensen, Benjamin/Guendel, Brad (CUW) def. Price, John/Smith, Tom (MSOE) 9-8 (7-5)
2. Docter, Christian/Schaffner, Ceejay (CUW) def. Sauder, Mason/Fassbender, Kyle (MSOE) 8-5
3. Campbell, Austin/Haanen, Tyler (MSOE) def. Budewitz, Trevor/Fowle, Jonah (CUW) 9-7