HILTON HEAD, S.C. – Concordia University Wisconsin Men's Tennis opened up their spring trip in South Carolina with an 8-1 win over FDU-Florham. The Falcons finished the day with an 8-1 setback against Endicott.
Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 8, FDU-Florham 1; Concordia Wisconsin 1, Endicott 8
Location: Hilton Head, S.C.
Records: Concordia Wisconsin (5-4), Endicott (3-3), FDU-Florham (1-5)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- CUW jumped out to a 3-0 lead after doubles play against FDU-Florham winning 8-3 at No. 1 doubles, 8-1 at No. 2 doubles, and 8-6 at No. 3 doubles.
- Benjamin Nommensen (Waupaca, Wis.) won in commanding fashion at No. 1 singles defeating his opponent in straight sets, 6-2 and 6-1.
- Brad Guendel (Greendale, Wis.) and Trevor Budewitz (Watertown, Wis.) both pulled off come from behind victories in the No. 3 and No. 4 singles, respectively.
- Guendel dropped the first 4-6, but then battled back to win set number two 6-4. He went on to win the third set tie breaker 10-7. Budewitz fell in the first set 5-7 before bouncing back in set two to take a 6-4 win. He would then take the tie breaking set 10-6 for the match win.
- In the second match of the day CUW was handled by Endicott College, 8-1. The Gulls cruised in doubles play, winning all three matches and then won five-of-six singles matches.
- Sophomore Ceejay Schaffner (Winona, Minn.) was the only Falcon to come away with a win at No. 5 singles. He won his match in straight sets 6-3, 7-6(3).
UP NEXT FOR CUW
- The Falcons return to action in South Carolina on Wednesday Mar. 16 as they take on Asbury at 8:30 am and then conclude the day by taking on Thomas (ME) at 4:45 pm.