NAPERVILLE, Ill. – The Concordia University Wisconsin Men's Tennis team has played its fair share of close matches in non-conference play this season. Coming into Friday night the Falcons were 2-0 in duals decided by one match, but unfortunately that record dropped to 2-1 after a 5-4 setback against North Central.
- Final Score: North Central 5, Concordia Wisconsin 4
- Location: Res/Rec Center – Naperville, Ill.
- Records: North Central 5-1; Concordia Wisconsin 4-3
HOW IT HAPPENED
- North Central picked up wins in two of three doubles matches to gain a 2-1 advantage on Friday. The Falcons lone victory in doubles play came at the No. 2 position as senior Benjamin Nommensen (Waupaca, Wis.) and junior Trevor Budewitz (Watertown, Wis.) netted an 8-6 win.
- Singles play saw both the Falcons and Cardinals earn three wins. CUW picked up wins at No. 1 through No. 3 singles, while the Cardinals had wins in the No. 4 through No. 6 positions.
- Nommensen won his opening set 6-2 before falling 6-4 in his second set. He was able to pick up a 10-5 win in the tiebreaker, earning a victory at No. 1 singles for the Falcons.
- CUW picked up straight set wins at No. 2 and No. 3 singles by freshman Christian Docter (Madison, Wis.) and sophomore Brad Guendel (Greendale, Wis.). Docter won 7-5, 6-4 at the No. 2 spot, while Guendel rolled to a 6-4, 6-1 win.
- North Central would pick up wins at the final three singles spots, including a tiebreaker win at No. 5 singles. Many of the matches on Friday were closely contested, resulting in another great matchup for the Falcons in non-conference play.
- CUW is off until its spring trip where the Falcons will play five matches in South Carolina. The first two of those will come against FDU-Florham and Endicott on March 14.
North Central 5, Concordia Wisconsin 4
1. Nommensen, Benjamin (CUW) def. Sass, Connor (NCC) 6-2, 4-6, 1-0 (10-5)
2. Docter, Christian (CUW) def. Vasic, Aleksandar (NCC) 7-5, 6-4
3. Guendel, Brad (CUW) def. Williams, Wilbur (NCC) 6-4, 6-1
4. Winters, Adam (NCC) def. Budewitz, Trevor (CUW) 7-5, 6-2
5. Sass, Hayden (NCC) def. Schaffner, Ceejay (CUW) 6-4, 2-6, 1-0 (11-9)
6. Arias, Cristobal (NCC) def. Spiering, Robert (CUW) 6-3, 7-6
1. Doeckel, Ryan/Sass, Connor (NCC) def. Docter, Christian/Guendel, Brad (CUW) 8-4
2. Nommensen, Benjamin/Budewitz, Trevor (CUW) def. Vasic, Aleksandar/Williams, Wilbur (NCC) 8-6
3. Sass, Hayden/Kohlmeier, Alex (NCC) def. Schaffner, Ceejay/Fowle, Jonah (CUW) 9-8