MEQUON, Wis. – A No. 6 singles win in a tiebreaking set by senior Robert Spiering gave the Concordia University Wisconsin Men's Tennis team a thrilling 5-4 win over Lawrence on Saturday afternoon. The Falcons added an easy 8-1 win over Oakton Community College, ending the day with a pair of non-conference victories.
- Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 5, Lawrence 4; Concordia Wisconsin 8, Oakton Community 1
- Location: Pleasant Valley Tennis & Fitness (Jackson, Wis.) and Elite Sports Club (Mequon, Wis.)
- Records: Concordia Wisconsin 5-1; Lawrence 3-1; Oakton Community 0-1
HOW IT HAPPENED
- With the match tied at 4-4, it came down to the only contest yet to be settled, Spiering (Wauwatosa, Wis.) and Ethan Perushek of Lawrence. Spiering dropped the opening set before rallying for a 7-6 (7-4) win in the second set, which forced a third set tiebreak to 10 points. He completed the comeback with an exciting 10-8 win in the tiebreak, landing the Falcons the key non-conference win.
- Spiering wasn't the only player to gain a tiebreak victory in singles play as junior Trevor Budewitz (Watertown, Wis.) added a 2-6, 6-2, 1-0 (10-3) win at the No. 4 position. The Falcons needed every win against Lawrence, none bigger than the two tiebreak wins.
- The Falcons trailed 2-1 after doubles play but picked up four wins in singles against the Vikings. The other two victories came in straight sets at No. 3 and 5 singles, respectively. Freshman Christian Docter (Madison, Wis.) posted a 6-2, 6-2 win at the No. 3 spot, while sophomore Ceejay Schaffner (Winona, Minn.) gained a 6-4, 6-1 win at the No. 5 position.
- The lone doubles win for the Falcons against Lawrence was by the No. 2 team of senior Benjamin Nommensen (Waupaca, Wis.) and Budewitz. They netted an 8-3 decision for the Falcons.
- CUW had a much easier time against Oakton Community, winning six matches, and adding two more wins by default for the 8-1 win.
- Freshman Jonah Fowle (Menomonee Falls, Wis.) and junior Jonathan Schotte (Preston, Kan.) were dominant at No. 4 and 5 singles, each posting perfect 6-0, 6-0 victories. Spiering added a win by default at No. 6 singles as Oakton Community had just five players compete.
- Schaffner moved up to No. 3 singles for the nightcap and went 6-0, 6-1 for his second singles win of the day, while Budewitz moved up to the No. 2 spot and posted a 6-2, 6-3 win.
- The Falcons also swept doubles play against Oakton Community, including a win by default from Schaffner and Spiering at the No. 3 position. The No. 1 tandem of Nommensen and sophomore Brad Guendel (Greendale, Wis.) won 8-5, while the No. 2 duo of Fowle and Schotte added to their perfect evening with an 8-0 win.
- The Falcons will host Lake Forest in a non-conference match next Friday. Action is set to get underway at 6 p.m.
Concordia Wisconsin 5, Lawrence 4
1. David Jumes (LU) def. Nommensen, Benjamin (CUW) 6-0, 6-2
2. Brian DeCorte (LU) def. Guendel, Brad (CUW) 6-3, 6-1
3. Docter, Christian (CUW) def. Mitch Kasprzyk (LU) 6-2, 6-2
4. Budewitz, Trevor (CUW) def. Adam Busch (LU) 2-6, 6-2, 1-0 (10-3)
5. Schaffner, Ceejay (CUW) def. Izaya Turenne (LU) 6-4, 6-1
6. Spiering, Robert (CUW) def. Ethan Perushek (LU) 4-6, 7-6 (7-4), 1-0 (10-8)
1. David Jumes/Brian DeCorte (LU) def. Guendel, Brad/Docter, Christian (CUW) 8-5
2. Nommensen, Benjamin/Budewitz, Trevor (CUW) def. Mitch Kasprzyk/Adam Busch (LU) 8-3
3. Bill Schuman-Kline/David Brooker (LU) def. Schaffner, Ceejay/Spiering, Robert (CUW) 8-4
Concordia Wisconsin 8, Oakton Community College 1
1. Forster, James (OCC) def. Docter, Christian (CUW) 6-4, 6-1
2. Budewitz, Trevor (CUW) def. Gradishar, Ryan (OCC) 6-2, 6-3
3. Schaffner, Ceejay (CUW) def. Lavengco, Christian (OCC) 6-0, 6-1
4. Fowle, Jonah (CUW) def. George, Samson (OCC) 6-0, 6-0
5. Schotte, Jonathan (CUW) def. Guzman, Edgar (OCC) 6-0, 6-0
6. Spiering, Robert (CUW) def. No player (OCC), by default
1. Nommensen, Benjamin/Guendel, Brad (CUW) def. Gradishar, Ryan/Forster, James (OCC) 8-5
2. Fowle, Jonah/Schotte, Jonathan (CUW) def. George, Samson/Lavengco, Christian (OCC) 8-0
3. Schaffner, Ceejay/Spiering, Robert (CUW) def. No player/No player (OCC), by default