FOND DU LAC, Wis. – The Concordia University Wisconsin Men's Tennis opened its spring season in dominant fashion Friday night, shutting out Ripon College by a 9-0 score in non-conference action. The Falcons were impressive in the season-opening win, winning five of six singles matches in straight sets.
Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 9, Ripon 0
Location: Fond du Lac, Wis. – Center Court
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 1-0, Ripon 0-1
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Falcons started off the night by sweeping doubles play in the three matches. The most convincing of those wins came at No. 2 doubles as the freshmen duo of Christian Docter (Madison, Wis.) and Jonah Fowle (Menomonee Falls, Wis.) rolled to an 8-1 win.
- In other doubles action, sophomores Ceejay Schaffner (Winona, Minn.) and Brad Guendel (Greendale, Wis.) picked up an 8-3 win at No. 1 doubles, while the pairing of juniors Trevor Budewitz (Watertown, Wis.) and Jonathan Schotte (Preston, Kan.) gained an 8-2 victory at No. 3 doubles.
- Singles play was a walk in the park for the Falcons as they won five of the six in straight sets and with relative ease. Included in those were 6-0, 6-0 sweeps from Schaffner at No. 5 singles and senior Robert Spiering (Wauwatosa, Wis.) at the No. 6 singles spot.
- Senior Benjamin Nommensen (Waupaca, Wis.) cruised to a 6-0, 6-1 win at No. 1 singles, while Docter reversed those set scores, picking up a 6-1, 6-0 victory at No. 3 singles.
- Budewitz was in control throughout in his No. 4 singles matchup, gaining a 6-1, 6-1 victory over his Red Hawks opponent. The final singles win came at the No. 2 spot as Guendel rallied after dropping his opening set by a 6-1 score. He cruised in the second set (6-0) and picked up a tiebreaker win to complete the Falcons perfect night.
1. Nommensen, Benjamin (CUW) def. J.J. Grinde (RC) 6-0, 6-1
2. Guendel, Brad (CUW) def. Lincoln Wurtz (RC) 1-6, 6-0, 1-0 (10-8)
3. Docter, Christian (CUW) def. Grant Grywalsky (RC) 6-1, 6-0
4. Budewitz, Trevor (CUW) def. Zach Muench (RC) 6-1, 6-1
5. Schaffner, Ceejay (CUW) def. Jacob Kramer (RC) 6-0, 6-0
6. Spiering, Robert (CUW) def. Ben Ermatinger (RC) 6-0, 6-0
1. Guendel, Brad/Schaffner, Ceejay (CUW) def. J.J. Grinde/Lincoln Wurtz (RC) 8-3
2. Docter, Christian/Fowle, Jonah (CUW) def. Grant Grywalsky/Zach Muench (RC) 8-1
3. Budewitz, Trevor/Schotte, Jonathan (CUW) def. Ben Ermatinger/Jacob Kramer (RC) 8-2
- The Falcons will be back in action tomorrow for a pair of non-conference matches. CUW will begin at 8 a.m. against St. Mary's (Minn.) before taking on Carroll at 12:30 p.m. Both matches will take place at the Moorland Park Tennis Center in New Berlin.