MEQUON, Wis. – The Concordia University Wisconsin Men's Tennis team won its third straight Northern Athletics Conference match, defeating Lakeland College 8-1 Wednesday night at the Elite Sports Center.
The Falcons swept all singles matches, five of those coming in straight sets, as they had little trouble downing LC. Leading the way in singles play was junior Russell Johnson (Monticello, Wis.) as he took his match at No.1 singles 6-0, 6-0. Junior Skip Turner (Eau Claire, Wis.) followed suit with a 6-0, 6-2 victory at No. 2 singles, while Antoine Leon (Draveil, Essonne, France) had little trouble from the No. 3 spot with a 6-0, 6-1 win.
Junior Tanner Hahn (Reedsburg, Wis.) and freshman Terry Jones (Maywood, Ill.) each netted wins at No. 4 and 5 singles, respectively for CUW. Hahn rolled to a 6-1, 6-0 win, while Jones defeated his Lakeland counterpart, 6-3, 6-2. Junior Ryan Buffamonte (Kenosha, Wis.) added a 6-3, 2-6, 1-0 (8-6) win at No. 6 singles to complete the singles sweep.
CUW (6-8, 3-0 NAC) also took two of three doubles matches, allowing them to net the 8-1 victory. Johnson and Jones posted an 8-4 victory from the No. 1 doubles position, while Hahn and sophomore Steven Fritz (Berwyn, Ill.) won by the same count at No. 3 doubles.
LC (1-5, 1-3 NAC) gained their only win of the evening at No. 2 doubles where Jake Halverson and Greg Boknevitz netted an 8-6 win.
The Falcons will return to action this weekend when they play a pair of NAC road dual matches. CUW will take on Edgewood College at 10 a.m. and follow that with a match against Marian University at 2 p.m.
04/10/13 at Mequon, Wis. (Elite Sports Center)
1. Johnson, Russell (CUW) def. Meyer, Chris (LC) 6-0, 6-0
2. Turner, Skip (CUW) def. Boknevitz, Greg (LC) 6-0, 6-2
3. Leon, Antoine (CUW) def. Halverson, Jake (LC) 6-0, 6-1
4. Hahn, Tanner (CUW) def. Yelverton, William (LC) 6-1, 6-0
5. Jones, Terry (CUW) def. Elzinga, Paul (LC) 6-3, 6-2
6. Buffamonte, Ryan (CUW) def. Robinson, Brandon (LC) 6-3, 2-6, 1-0 (8-6)
1. Johnson, Russell/Jones, Terry (CUW) def. Yelverton, William/Elzinga, Paul (LC) 8-4
2. Halverson, Jake/Boknevitz, Greg (LC) def. Wells, Garrett/Leon, Antoine (CUW) 8-6
3. Hahn, Tanner/Fritz, Steven (CUW) def. Meyer, Chris/Robinson, Brandon (LC) 8-4
Lakeland 1-5, 1-3 NAC
Concordia Wisconsin 6-8, 3-0 NAC