MEQUON, Wis. - The Concordia University Wisconsin Men's Soccer team and UW-Whitewater have a knack for going to overtime when they get together on the pitch. Saturday's match was no different as the Falcons and Warhawks played to a 1-1 draw in non-conference play.
- Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 1, UW-Whitewater 1
- Location: Fitting Field – Mequon, Wisconsin
- Records: CUW 1-2-3; UW-Whitewater 3-2-1
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After being shut out in two straight matches, the Falcons couldn't have asked for a better start Saturday. Senior Luis Loya scored in the fifth minute off a nice lob pass from Dagoberto Diaz (Woodburn, Ore.), putting the Falcons up 1-0.
- The only other goal of the match was scored in the 25th minute on a Raymonds' brother connection for the Warhawks. Peter Raymonds found brother Henry Raymonds to equal the score at 1-1.
- Each team has chances the rest of the way, including two shots that went off the crossbar for the Falcons. Michael Howell (Milwaukee, Wis.) had a header hit the crossbar late in the second period and Diaz almost nailed a free kick in the final minutes of the second overtime.
- Nate Yeager (Rio Rancho, N.M.) had six saves in a quality game for the sophomore keeper. Chris Lucatorto made two saves for the Warhawks but only played the first 16:56 before being lifted for Toney Anderson. Anderson had nine saves, while UW-Whitewater also had a team save in the second half.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The last seven meetings between these two teams have gone to overtime. The Falcons are 2-1-4 in those matches, which date back to the 1998 season.
- The Falcons open conference play Wednesday with a road match against Marian. CUW will travel to Fond du Lac for a 7 p.m. start time.