WAUKESHA, Wis. – Three first half goals helped push the Concordia University Wisconsin Men's Soccer team past Carroll University, 3-0, in the 2015 season opener. Junior Justin Clayton, senior Keegan Van Dusseldorp and freshman Dagoberto Diaz netted the goals for the Falcons, while the defense posted a shutout in the victory.
- Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 3, Carroll 0
- Location: Schneider Stadium – Waukesha, Wis.
- Records: Concordia Wisconsin 1-0-0; Carroll 0-1-0
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Falcons posted three scores in the opening 45 minutes to build a comfortable lead by the break. Clayton (Crete, Ill.) had the first of those goals, 7:27 into play off an assist from senior Diego Campos (Milwaukee, Wis.)
- The next two goals would come in the 35th and 36th minutes, being scored 1:05 apart from one another. Van Dusseldorp (Burlington, Wis.) made the score 2-0, with an assist from senior Bobby Russ (Wauwatosa, Wis.). Diaz then netted his first career goal to make the score 3-0.
- Alec Brew (Appleton, Wis.) turned away all four shots he faced for his fifth career shutout.
- The Falcons controlled possession throughout, finishing with a 13-7 edge in shots. They also had a 10-4 edge in shots on goal for the game.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Van Dusseldorp now has 27 career goals in his time with the Falcons. The senior has scored double-digit goals each of his last two seasons, including a career-best 11 last year.
- Brew recorded his first shutout since his sophomore season when he ran off an impressive streak of four shutouts in five games. A streak like that to start the season for Brew would certainly have the Falcons on the right footing heading into conference play.
- This was the Falcons first season-opening win since the 2012 season. That year they downed Adrian by a 1-0 score.
- Campos now has 22 assists over his career with CUW. The senior posted a personal-best nine during his first year with the team (2012).
- Last year, CUW posted four shutouts in seven wins, three of those coming on the road. Another strong defensive road effort for the Falcons to begin 2015.
- Brady Smith made seven saves for the Pioneers, while facing 10 shots on goal.
- CUW will host Concordia Ann Arbor on Friday in the second part of a women's/men's doubleheader. The match is set to begin at 5:15 p.m. at Fitting Field.