Click here for photos from the Aug. 18 afternoon Men's Soccer practice.
MEQUON, Wis. – The Concordia University Wisconsin Men's Soccer team put in its first two-a-day of the season on Monday as they begin the 2014 campaign.
CUWFalcons.com caught a glimpse of the second practice of the day which was about a two hour session in the afternoon. After a warm up and some drills, CUW transitioned into a scrimmage on Fitting Field, while other players continue to build skills on the softball field.
The Falcons are anticipating another strong 2014 season under 22nd-year head coach Tom Saleska. Saleska led CUW to a 10-8-2 record last season, which included an opening round win in the NACC Tournament.
Some thoughts on the Falcons afternoon practice on Monday and notes on the upcoming season:
- Despite losing three-time All-Region and four-time All-Conference selection Jacob Pope, CUW still features several players with back row playing experience. The Falcons will need to rely on strong communication and teamwork from the defensive back line this season.
- Diego Campos and Paul Stuebs are two seniors who can be expected to lead the Falcons in 2014. Campos and Stuebs were both captains last fall and their experience will be vital to the Falcons success on the pitch.
- Keegan Van Dusseldorp is back as one of the Falcons top goal scorers this season. Van Dusseldorp was constantly around the ball at Monday's practice. He looks to build on his 10-goal season from a year ago.
- Several newcomers showcased tremendous potential at Monday's afternoon session. The Falcons will bring in a talented freshman class and a few of those players will be expected to contribute right away.
- Although early in camp, CUW looks to continue a stretch of 20 straight 10-win seasons. Saleska won four games in his first season (1993) and has led the Falcons to at least 10 wins in each of the past 20 campaigns.