MEQUON, Wis. – Two teams receiving recognition in the latest national polls met at the Ozaukee Ice Center Saturday afternoon in Concordia University Wisconsin and Saint John's. After 65 minutes of back-and-forth action, the Falcons and Johnnies skated to a 2-2 tie.
- Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 2, Saint John's 2
- Location: Ozaukee Ice Center – Mequon, Wisconsin
- Records: CUW 6-1-1; SJU 6-2-2
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Both teams tallied one score in the second period and one in the third period, with the Johnnies tying the game late in regulation. After Josh Adkins (Victoria, British Columbia) gave the Falcons a 2-1 lead midway through the final period, the Johnnies tied the game with 2:18 left on a score by Robb Stautz.
- Adkin's third-period goal was assisted by Dante Hahn (Victoria, British Columbia) and Jared Pilet (Seattle, Wash.). The Falcons first goal, which tied the game at 1-1 late in the second period, was scored on the power play by Taylor Gauld (Whitby, Ontario) with Connor Hogg (London, Ontario) and Braydon Barker (Red Deer, Alberta) picking up assists.
- The Johnnies took a 1-0 lead 6:22 into the second period, taking advantage of an odd man rush with Brady Heppner tallying the goal.
- Both goaltenders were outstanding Saturday as the Falcons Nick Malvin (Ham Lake, Minn.) tallied 28 saves. CUW finished with a 41-30 edge in shots, but Saint John's held a 15-6 advantage in the third period as Malvin stopped 14 of those shots. Mac Berglove made 39 saves for Saint John's.
- Each penalty kill unit produced at a strong rate, especially the Falcons who killed off all five Johnnies power play attempts. Included in that was 1:45 of a 5-on-3, the final 45 seconds of that happening to begin the third period. CUW finished the game 1-for-6 on the power play.
- The Falcons will host Aurora Friday night at 7:30 p.m.
January 13, 2018 Strong second period guides Men's Hockey to win at Northland
January 12, 2018 Men's Hockey drops NCHA road tilt at St. Scholastica
January 9, 2018 Hockey programs participate in Be the Match Registry Drive
January 5, 2018 Men's Hockey falls in NCHA battle with Marian
January 4, 2018 Rink Notes: Men's Hockey returns home for two NCHA contests
December 16, 2017 Hahn helps Falcons secure OT tie at UW-Stout
December 15, 2017 USCHO Feature: Hahn, Falcons off to a strong start
December 15, 2017 Guerra's power play goal caps third-period comeback for Men's Hockey
December 8, 2017 Men's Hockey falls to No. 9 UW-Stevens Point
December 2, 2017 Men's Hockey holds on for key NCHA win
December 1, 2017 Aurora deals Men's Hockey first home loss
November 29, 2017 Rink Notes: Men's Hockey battles Spartans Friday night
November 25, 2017 Men's Hockey settles for 2-2 tie against Johnnies
November 24, 2017 Men's Hockey silences Bethel, retains Thanksgiving Cup
November 22, 2017 Rink Notes: Falcons welcome MIAC foes for Thanksgiving weekend games
November 14, 2017 Malvin named NCHA Defensive Player of the Week
November 11, 2017 Men's Hockey takes care of Northland to remain perfect at home
November 10, 2017 Adkins, Malvin lead Men's Hockey past St. Scholastica
November 9, 2017 Rink Notes: Men's Hockey set for two NCHA home games
November 4, 2017 Romanuik blanks Finlandia for Men's Hockey NCHA road win
November 3, 2017 No. 1 St. Norbert pulls away from Men's Hockey in third period
November 1, 2017 Seel named NCHA Offensive Player of the Week
October 30, 2017 Men's Hockey ranked 15th by D3Hockey.com
October 28, 2017 Seel's four-point effort lifts Men's Hockey over UW-Superior
October 27, 2017 Rink Notes: Men's Hockey opens 2017-18 campaign this weekend
October 20, 2017 Men's Hockey tabbed sixth in NCHA Preseason Poll
October 4, 2017 Eight from Men's Hockey honored as AHCA All-American Scholars
June 1, 2017 Men's Hockey adds Jensen as Assistant Coach