MEQUON, Wis. – Dante Hahn scored two goals and Jack Romanuik recorded his second shutout in as many starts to help lead the Concordia University Wisconsin Men's Hockey Team to a 5-0 win over Bethel Friday night. The win secured the fifth straight Thanksgiving Cup for the Falcons, as they are the only team to hold the trophy in the annual series.
- Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 5, Bethel 0
- Location: Ozaukee Ice Center – Mequon, Wisconsin
- Records: CUW 6-1; Bethel 1-9
DANTE HAHN POSTGAME
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Romanuik (Melfort, Saskatchewan) has made two starts this season, while also appearing in a third game, and hasn't allowed a goal yet. He finished with 22 saves Friday night for his second shutout of the season.
- The Falcons made things easier for Romanuik by controlling the puck and holding a big edge in shots. That was evident in the opening period where the Falcons peppered 17 shots on net compared to just five for the Royals. However, only Jon Brumwell (Calgary, Alberta) could light the lamp in the first period for the Falcons, scoring 16:03 into the game. Nick Guiney and Braydon Barker (Red Deer, Alberta) assisted on the opening goal.
- CUW would add two goals in each of the final two periods for the 5-0 win. Eric Therrien (Willow Bunch, Saskatchewan) and Dante Hahn (Victoria, British Columbia) scored the second-period goals for the Falcons, while Hahn and Nick Guerra (Victoria, British Columbia) tallied the third-period scores. Guerra's goal was the first of his collegiate career.
- Guiney (Victoria, British Columbia) added a second assist in the contest for the Falcons for his first career two-point effort. Justin Coachman, Jim Pearson, Josh Adkins, Taylor Gauld, Mac Ferner, and Brett Garvey all added helpers for CUW.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The Falcons have owned the series against Bethel, which is also an annual series for the Thanksgiving Cup. CUW is 8-0-1 against the Royals, all meetings coming over Thanksgiving weekend the last five years.
- Romanuik becomes the first CUW player to record two consecutive shutouts. He is also now the Falcons career leader with two shutouts.
- The Falcons will host Saint John's in a non-conference game tomorrow afternoon. Puck drop is set for 2 p.m. at the Ozaukee Ice Center.
December 8, 2017 Men's Hockey falls to No. 9 UW-Stevens Point
December 2, 2017 Men's Hockey holds on for key NCHA win
December 1, 2017 Aurora deals Men's Hockey first home loss
November 29, 2017 Rink Notes: Men's Hockey battles Spartans Friday night
November 25, 2017 Men's Hockey settles for 2-2 tie against Johnnies
November 24, 2017 Men's Hockey silences Bethel, retains Thanksgiving Cup
November 22, 2017 Rink Notes: Falcons welcome MIAC foes for Thanksgiving weekend games
November 14, 2017 Malvin named NCHA Defensive Player of the Week
November 11, 2017 Men's Hockey takes care of Northland to remain perfect at home
November 10, 2017 Adkins, Malvin lead Men's Hockey past St. Scholastica
November 9, 2017 Rink Notes: Men's Hockey set for two NCHA home games
November 4, 2017 Romanuik blanks Finlandia for Men's Hockey NCHA road win
November 3, 2017 No. 1 St. Norbert pulls away from Men's Hockey in third period
November 1, 2017 Seel named NCHA Offensive Player of the Week
October 30, 2017 Men's Hockey ranked 15th by D3Hockey.com
October 28, 2017 Seel's four-point effort lifts Men's Hockey over UW-Superior
October 27, 2017 Rink Notes: Men's Hockey opens 2017-18 campaign this weekend
October 20, 2017 Men's Hockey tabbed sixth in NCHA Preseason Poll
October 4, 2017 Eight from Men's Hockey honored as AHCA All-American Scholars
June 1, 2017 Men's Hockey adds Jensen as Assistant Coach