DE PERE, Wis. – Coming into Friday night the Concordia University Wisconsin Men's Hockey team had never defeated St. Norbert College. The Falcons had also never secured a win against a team ranked No. 1 nationally. The Falcons can check both off their to-do list as they went into the De Pere and gained a 4-2 win over the top-ranked Green Knights.
- Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 4, No. 1 St. Norbert 2
- Location: Cornerstone Community Center – De Pere, Wisconsin
- Records: Concordia Wisconsin 10-7-1, 7-5-1 NCHA; St. Norbert 14-3-1, 10-2-1 NCHA
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Falcons used a goal at the end of the first period and one early on in the second to build a 2-0 lead. Freshman Dante Hahn (Victoria, British Columbia) scored the opening goal with 40 seconds remaining in the first, assisted by freshman Jim Pearson (Ashton, Ontario). Junior Brody Decker (Dousman, Wis.) then scored 1:51 into the second off an assist from freshman Spencer Loverock (Sidney, British Columbia) for a 2-0 lead.
- After a St. Norbert goal 4:25 into the second, the Falcons went back up two goals midway through the stanza. Sophomore Connor Hogg (London, Ontario) scored a power play goal 9:29 into the second period, coming off assists from Pearson and Hahn.
- The lead would remain 3-1 for much of the third period until St. Norbert tried to fight back with a goal scored with 3:43 remaining. Dominick Sacco tallied the Green Knights third-period score.
- The Falcons put the finishing touches on the upset as sophomore Taylor Gauld (Whitby, Ontario) scored the empty-netter with 10 seconds left. Hogg assisted on the game's final goal.
- Sophomore Nick Malvin (Ham Lake, Minn.) picked up his first career win with a 26-save performance. He was at his best in the third period, stopping 12 shots to help secure the win.
- Each team was disciplined on Friday night, as the two combined for just 10 penalty minutes, a total of five infractions. The Falcons went 1-for-2 on the power play, while St. Norbert was 0-for-1.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The Falcons had played a team ranked No. 1 seven previous times and lost all seven of those meetings, six against St. Norbert (the other was UW-Eau Claire). It is believed the win was the first for any CUW team over an opponent ranked No. 1.
- It was the Green Knights first loss since November 26 as they were unbeaten in their previous seven coming into Friday night.
- Hahn continues to rack up the assist numbers, picking up his 13th on Friday. He is tied for fourth in the NCHA with the 13 helpers.
- CUW and St. Norbert will play again tomorrow night, this time in Mequon at the Ozaukee Ice Center. It will also be Pink the Rink Saturday, beginning with a women's hockey game at 3 p.m. The Falcons and Green Knights will face off at 7 p.m.